• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

GREETINGS FROM HEART OF EUROPE.

Reaction score
Hi friends,
my name is Vašek skopek and I'm czech craftsman, knifemaker and outdoor enthusiast. I love knifemaking and all time spend in the nature, in the woods or on the river but we have only small pieces of nature in the Czech republic. I dream about New Zealand and US or Canadian mountains and forests. Maybe somethimes.
Do you know "ahoj" (read ahoy) is common greeting in the Czech republic? Most of us use it every day not only on the water.

Knifemaker have to learn whole life, so i will be grateful for your tips of best knife you have in mind.
You can look to few examples of my work.

What is your best knife, which you take with you to the river?

Attachments

• photo6075.JPG
    photo6075.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6076.jpg
    photo6076.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6077.jpg
    photo6077.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6078.jpg
    photo6078.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6079.jpg
    photo6079.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6080.jpg
    photo6080.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6081.jpg
    photo6081.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
Ahoj Vašek, and welcome! I grew up in Germany, so we were neighbors for a while :).
Your knifes look very nice! They look like you been making them for a while. Very nice craftsmanship!

I personally take several knifes with me, depending on type and length of trip.
Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion: Heavy, but that is the point. Good chopper and holds an edge. The ¼” thick, full tang blade means even I can’t break it.
Helle Harding: I love Scandinavian knifes and the edge they put on them. Super easy to sharpen. I especially like the leather strap that connects to the pommel. I won't loose this one.
Moraknive Eldris: I use it as a neck knife, but without the neck knife kit it can be ordered with. The knife sits very well in the sheath it comes with. I added a para cord lanyard and small fire steel. Scandinavian affordable quality knife.
Gerber or Leatherman multi tool
Some kind of Hobo Tool. My favorite here is an old Boy Scout addition from the 1950’ I think. It has a ton of stuff on it and is heavy, but I love old world craftsmanship.

Welcome to the forum. Cool knives. I really like the look of the file scales still on the knives. I'm also a bit of a bug guy, so I like your ant proof mark too.

I leave my best knives at home. I take Russell Green River knives canoeing and I'm very happy with them. I started a topic about them a while back.

Very nice knives and hopefully we'll inspire you to get out to one or more of your dream places. If you're headed to the US/Canada I'm sure there's more then a few of us to meet up with.

I just bought a Helle GT, I didn't do a lot of research, it was the right size, it's a Helle, and it 'looks good'.

We had a long thread a year or so ago on knives that might help you out, but I suck at searching these forums to find it, maybe someone else can help you find it.

Welcome Vasek.. Of the forums I participate in, this is my favorite:D! Nice looking knives, I am envious of guys with talent and skill. Most of my knives are inexpensive since I am always losing them. No sense in buying a really good knife just to leave it at home. The best knife I own I found in the mud along a river bank.

Hope you enjoy being here. As Sweeper has already said, If you get to US or Canada, somebody will be happy to meet up with you.

Nice knives! My daughter happens to be studying abroad this semester in Prague and one of her classes is the History of Czech. She said it's beautiful and reminds her of the fairy tales with all of the wonderful architecture. Welcome!

Ahoj Vasek, and welcome. The only thing I know of your fair country is that you make dang good Pilsner, and that's something to be mighty proud of. (And you're good at hockey.)
There's already at least one resident knife maker here, though he's pretty quiet at the moment. But there's always room for one more. Really nice workmanship on your blades Vasek.

Ahoj Vašek, and welcome! I grew up in Germany, so we were neighbors for a while :).
Your knifes look very nice! They look like you been making them for a while. Very nice craftsmanship!

I personally take several knifes with me, depending on type and length of trip.
Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion: Heavy, but that is the point. Good chopper and holds an edge. The ¼” thick, full tang blade means even I can’t break it.
Helle Harding: I love Scandinavian knifes and the edge they put on them. Super easy to sharpen. I especially like the leather strap that connects to the pommel. I won't loose this one.
Moraknive Eldris: I use it as a neck knife, but without the neck knife kit it can be ordered with. The knife sits very well in the sheath it comes with. I added a para cord lanyard and small fire steel. Scandinavian affordable quality knife.
Gerber or Leatherman multi tool
Some kind of Hobo Tool. My favorite here is an old Boy Scout addition from the 1950’ I think. It has a ton of stuff on it and is heavy, but I love old world craftsmanship.
Thank you.

Nice knives! My daughter happens to be studying abroad this semester in Prague and one of her classes is the History of Czech. She said it's beautiful and reminds her of the fairy tales with all of the wonderful architecture. Welcome!

Great to hear! I live in Ostrava, that's different wolrd than Prague! Ostrava is industrial citty, not much good for living, but unforgettable after trip (coalmine or heavy machinery excursions etc.) With regiojet or Leo express (trains) she gets to Ostrava for a few dollars.

Ahoj Vasek, and welcome. The only thing I know of your fair country is that you make dang good Pilsner, and that's something to be mighty proud of. (And you're good at hockey.)
There's already at least one resident knife maker here, though he's pretty quiet at the moment. But there's always room for one more. Really nice workmanship on your blades Vasek.

Thank you. I want make few "canoemaker" bended knives, so i put here result of my work soon.

560342_481853795182479_280101014_n.jpg

I'm partial to this one on trips. I carry it in my day pack rather than on my side just in case I slip and fall. I carry This folding knife on me when tripping. Welcome.

46610_147578681943327_8250281_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. They looks pretty new and unused.

Thank you for the compliment. The sheath knife is 6 years old, and the folder is 13. Seeing how I made them from raw materials in the first place, keeping them looking new and unused is the easy part. I do carry a axe and saw, so they only get used for knife work. Dave Possehl

Back