• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from South Western Ontario

Reaction score
Hello hello ...

By way of introduction, I am boat lover stranded at the highest point in South Western Ontario. There is soggy land aplenty, but the creeks are small and the rivers are shallow.

I am a communications professional by background but now build, design, and repair small boats full time in a shop just outside of Stratford. My paddling interests of late have taken me poking into the wetlands, drainages, and creeks of the region where I've discovered a wealth of bird life and animals. Given their tangled and shallow nature, these are places not many folks tend to explore; they are difficult to access and not always the prettiest of places. And it's a charm that takes some time to grow on you.

In any event, I look forward to what I hope are many interesting conversations ... about paddling in South Western Ontario, and everywhere else on this beautiful planet.

Hi Trevor, and welcome. I've only ever seen the Avon (?) It's a pretty river. I have no doubt there are other wet places to explore, and in my mind, they're all beautiful. We can't get caught up in comparing them. I look forward to seeing some of your local trips, and maybe a built boat or two.

No Title

Thank you Odyssey ... here's a pic of me and one of my boats at the foot of the Avon ... if the link works you should be able to see more Avon River pics here ... as pretty as the pictures might be, the river is mostly dead from agricultural run-off and with the growing number of operations tiling their fields, the problem isn't about to get better anytime soon. http://ashesstillwaterboats.com/photography/upriver/

IMG_0289-e1436324591755.jpg

Attachments

• photo6020.jpg
    photo6020.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 1
Welcome Trevor !
You've fallen into a pretty good bunch of folks here !
Builders too ! You will feel right at home !

Nice work by the way ! They bring to my mind the first canoe, I saw, built by Martin Van, from Eau Galle Canoe, Eau Galle Wisconsin. Simple elegance !

Unfortunately We here in Iowa suffer from farming degradation of our environment. Just have to make the best of it !

Again ! Welcome !

Jim

Cool stuff, Trevor...nice photos too!
As Jim said, lots of builders here, we bounce ideas back and forth all the time.
Is that work space an old barn? Looks like a comfortable spot to build boats.

Hello Trevor, hope you'll post photos of some of the more natural places you visit, although those algal mats are impressive. And people wonder why Lake Erie has dead zones.

Nice canoe... looking forward to your stories off the beaten path.

Thank you for the kind welcome folks,

I can see by your profile pic Jim that one solo is not nearly enough for you!
Yes, I'n now building in an old bank barn. I made the move from an industrial bay last summer. Lot's of pluses but difficult in the winter.
We spent two weeks on Pelee Island and many morning I would walk the beach and bury lake fish that had suffocated. Ughh ...

Back