• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Greetings from Central Massachusetts

Reaction score
Just want to thank you for the add and I look forward to trip reports, tips and DIY stuff. I have done few week long trips either on the Allagash or the West Branch Penobscot as a Scoutmaster and now I am planning a trip in 2018 with a few grown ups that were former scouts of mine and I am recreating the Troops gear for myself with some improvements and simplification.

Hi Cheapeats? Is there anything cheap in Mass?;)
Are you going to have the same beds and no chairs? I think maybe there will be some modifications. Its really great you have kept in touch with your former Scouts.
Two good trips too..two of my favorites.

Welcome from West/Central Mass or as we prefer East/Western Mass.

I cut my canoeing teeth on the Allagash.

2018 is a LONG way away, what are your plans for 2017?

Grandpa Paddler thanks for the welcome.
Yellowcanoe, Cheapeats is the name I chose for my first online forum many years ago it is a play on my family nickname of Skippy, yes we brought chairs and a heavy chuck box but no beds. The chuck box is the main thing that needs recreating,too many heavy dishes and un-necessary implements. Many of the guys are friends of my sons.
Sweeper my Stepdad has hunted turkeys out your way fo about 30 years, although I am no longer scout master I still co-lead canoe trips for the troop and will probably be doing a trip with them while we are teaching the new leaders how to lead a trip like this and 2017 is my wife's 50th so I will be expected to throw a party so 2018 it is.

Welcome, good scout troops make good young men. When my son was in Scouts I was an asst. scoutmaster, and organized a week long trip each summer for the older boys, similar to what it sounds like you did. One year a canoe trip , the next a backpacking trip. The troop has continued these trips. My son , now a school teacher, still accompanies the troop on their canoe trips. He won his age class at the whitewater nationals once, so the scouts really look up to him on these trips, and as a middle school teacher he has a good handle on how to handle groups of kids (and have them learning at the same time).
Sounds like you were a good roll model for your scouts if they still want to hang out and do trips with you.
​ I'm in Granby CT about 4 miles south of the west central Mass border, grew up in Brookfield Mass.

​John M

CT Yankee I live just a couple towns from the Brookfields the geographical center of Mass A growing town called Rutland.

Back