• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Greetings from the great Northwest!

Reaction score
Hi all, I paddle out of Portland, OR; a mix of lakes and rivers, small and large, anything from class II down. My favorite is large water, especially the mighty Columbia river through the Gorge. I've done some trips on the Willamette and canoe camped on some of our large and lovely wilderness lakes as well.

I was wanting to come see your build. Portland got me all excited... finally a boatbuilder in reach..with tools.. and workshop..
Wrong Portland
I'm 32 miles north of the other Portland.

Anyway welcome!

Robin, it's funny how often I forget just how lucky we are in this corner of the world. Mountains, desert, the ocean, deep forests, miles and miles of wilderness and a wide array of lakes and rivers. The one place that always brings it home, even though I paddle there more often than anywhere else, is the Columbia River Gorge.
Yellowcanoe, I've made the same mistake online between our coasts as well, most often when lusting after some lovely classic used canoe. Our market out here is thin, too many kayaks. It's been a few years since I was lucky enough to visit your corner of the states, but I must say it is a beautiful and inviting place. If I couldn't live in Portland, I could move to Portland just as well, if you know what I mean.

Welcome PortlandBCS. My first whitewater canoe ride was down a stretch of the McKenzie River outside of Eugene in the early 80's. We didn't know what we were doing, or what we were getting into (still don't), but we ended up swimming quite a bit that day. We managed to keep the aluminum canoe from wrapping those big boulders though, so I guess it was a good learning experience. Waldo Lake up by Willamette Pass is another of my favorite paddling places in your area. The clearest water I've ever seen.

Mark

Welcome PortlandBCS ! I nearly moved to Oregon, in the early 70s, where it not for the love of my life, Linda.
​ My best friend through my childhood, moved to Albany Oregon. He took me for my first drift boat ride on the Alsea river. Loved it !
​ Such diversity in that state.
​ Again Welcome !

Jim

We'll be in Oregon in 2017. With canoe.. so please post some good day trips. My husband has visited 48 states and lacks Oregon and Hawaii.. I haven't been to Oregon in some 50 years. Its the least visited Western State for me.

Back