• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hello from Alabama

Reaction score
I found this site while researching skid plate instillation. All I have for canoes are Old Town Royalex boats. I chose them for their lite weight and durability. I know they are dogs but the rocky creeks I paddle would kill a nice kevlar boat. I've been stirring the water with a stick for 40+ years. Probably haven't been doing it correctly but I have been enjoying it. I believe it's not what or how you paddle but that you paddle is all that really counts.
Every year I lead a group of old paddlers on a Fall trip to some where on the Gulf Coast. We've paddled most of the rivers from Wasissa to Alabama. I hope to pick up some of the knowledge that I see here.
Greg Hester

I also agree that get out there is the most important thing, but I've found out this year a good boat has merit also.

Welcome on board.

Welcome Greg:)! Lots of good people with a LOT of knowledge and good advice here. I also paddle royalex (Wenonahs) canoes because of the scratchy rivers I frequent. Sweeper's new boat is sweet so we can let him strut (for a while anyway). After seeing his and Eidolon's new boats makes me want a new canoe, but, it would probably only get used 6-8 days each year. Wife says if I spend that much for a new canoe I have to get rid of at least 2. Anyway, welcome again to a great forum.

Jon

@GP So pick up a couple Grumman's, keep them for a year and then buy a 'sweet' canoe.

@GP So pick up a couple Grumman's, keep them for a year and then buy a 'sweet' canoe.

Already have one, bought new in '72 with 2 paddles and 2 lifejackets, $200. Eldest claims it as his birthright, wife says I'm gettin' buried in it.

Weed, sorry we hi-jacked your intro. Helps you know us better. We are (at least sweeper & me) crazy :eek::eek::eek:

Looking forward to some reports of AL waters and the FL panhandle. So far we have a gap between the Pearl River in MS and Doyle Creek in the Apalachicola basin.

Back