• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Greetings and Salutations

Reaction score
Just wanted to do a quick intro thread, I recently met Robin whilst on my annual Adirondack's adventures, this was great as I had originally chosen to visit a certain area after viewing several of his videos on Youtube.

So then my real name is Rob but all over the internet my nickname's GGTBod, I enjoy the big nature and paddle travel of all kinds except oldschool rowing boats, my biggest joy is staying outdoors in the wild with minimal kit for extended periods of time, really love the backwoods simple living where my priorities whittle down to fire, food, water and shelter.

So this is me saying hello, just finished a 3 week adventure living in the Adirondacks with an Old Town canoe and a couple of tarps, at some point I'll get a trip report written and share some of my pictures, once I get back to England i will work my way through the 8hrs + of raw video I shot on my 3 cameras

Greetings, I saw Robin's pictures and heard a bit about you. It's cool that you choose the ADK's to hang out at. Any reasons why that area out of all the other places? I thought my 6-7 hour drive to get there was long. Safe travels. Welcome!

I first visited the Adirondacks when I was 13 back in '88 and it left an imprint on me that I never shook, I was there again in '90 and '92 and then had a 23 year gap due to my own stubbornness regarding family connections, I eventually matured a little (a tiny wee bit) and was able to get past this and build bridges with my USA relatives and when I came to visit again last year I felt the need to visit the Adirondacks as much as I did the relatives

Hi Rob I'm glad you found your way over here, and even better meeting you in person. I had great time last week even if I did have to bail out after one night.
I hope you and your father had a great time.

Great to have you here Rob, it was fun meeting you and I enjoyed our paddle around Hitchins Pond.

Welcome.

Hi Rob. Looking forward to seeing your posts and vids in the future too. Very curious about your basic tarp shelters and experience with simple bushcraft living.

Welcome Rob. This is a great place to hang out... lots of great people here (you already met a few) Glad you enjoyed Hitchins. Been going to the ADK's for a number of years (generally twice a year) but never canoe tripped there until last month with Robin, Sweeper, bcelect and Forest Runes to Lows. Loved the area and can't wait to get back (the guys were pretty tolerable, too).

Jon

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, i was trying to respond from my cellphone last night but it was having issues, i'm at a computer now so all is good.

Robin and kevin it was really great meeting you both, a true wealth of knowledge in you both and a genuine humble style with how you go about things, my father is always a welcome guest in the woods as he thinks all you need to live on out there (foodwise) is an excess of meat and cheese and bread, as i was almost out of meat and bread a small 8 mile round trip paddle to get him was a worthy trade.

Murat V for my tarping i just use a sil nylon tarp from the UK brand DD tarps, under this i have a bivvi/bugnet combo (a DD travel hammock that i only use on the floor) inside this i have a 2inch thick closed cell self inflating mat and my sleeping bag, it is not that i travel light on purpose i just injured my back a few years back and could no longer load myself up like a pack mule like i used to, so i either had to adapt or stop doing the things that help keep what is left of my sanity, when i juggle through my pics and videos and memories i'll write some sort of trip report of my recent venture and share it, there always seems to be little bushcrafty bits in there somewhere.

Grandpa paddler, i can only imagine how many different boats and paddles you have been looking at since you got back from your first ADKs paddle, is your better half an understanding woman about the necessity of you having a boat and a collection of new kit to go with it?

Hopped onto my cell to seenif I can share a pic or two before going to watch Robins latest video, sadly it failed my pics are too big, I have loaded a tonne so far so my instagram if anyone is interested and is on instagram search my name GGTBod and there is only one of me, when I am back home I'll be able to adjust a batch of pics to fit, I was trying to load up a shot of the tree that poleaxed my camp and provided me a few chords of fire wood

Grandpa paddler, i can only imagine how many different boats and paddles you have been looking at since you got back from your first ADKs paddle, is your better half an understanding woman about the necessity of you having a boat and a collection of new kit to go with it?

Rob, my wife is relatively understanding about my canoe tripping, been doing it for 54 yrs, this was just my 1st paddle trip to the ADK's. She is not, OTH, very understanding about my need for canoes (4), paddles (+/-20) or gear (a truck load). When I got my 1st solo, I had to get rid of 2 of the tandems. I'm always looking @ canoes and gear:cool:.

Jon

Great stuff Jon I totally misread the post, I had it as your first canoe camping but it was just your first adks canoe camp

Rob, no problem. I reread my post and probably could have been clearer. Most of my paddling is on scratchy PA rivers with occasional trips to Algonquin. If I can get my back problems resolved, I'll be doing an Algonquin trip with my 2 sons and (hopefully) 2 of my grandsons in August '17.

Jon

Welcome to the board. Looking forward to reading your reports and will look you up on youtube.

Welcome to Canoetripping Rob. I am sorry that I missed the meetup recently, I am new to the Bushcraft board and only saw the event a few days prior. I would have liked to have made the trip and meet everybody. Us canoetrippers tent to pack for comfort. As Grandpa Paddler stated, we had a nice meet back in September, we had great weather, what a difference a few weeks makes, I love camping in the snow. Let us know when you are planning another excursion across the pond and hopefully we can combine a Canoetripping/BushcraftUSA meet.

I'm trying to get my excrement together for a paddle adventure in Norway, as it forms as some sort of plan I'll share the details, if folks were up for it you'd be more than welcome to cone along, I'll be renting an old hunting cabin which comes with a canoe, the cabins I am looking at do not have electricity

Rob - Good to see you here after "bumping" into you on the Bushcraft forum. I think it's great that you come across the pond for some adventures in NYS. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with you all the next time you come our way.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Back