• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

From southern Ontario and Algonquin area...

Reaction score
Hello, first post here... being an old geezer of 64, I've been spending far too much time on message boards and here I am signing up for another one... from what I've been able to gather by lurking here off and on, there's some great expertise and so I hope for plenty of education, amusement and inspiration. In return, I will educate, amuse and inspire anybody willing to read my nonsense whenever possible.

I've paddled mostly canoes since the mid-seventies, mixing business with pleasure as a freshwater biologist in the past and now spend as much time as possible on a property north of Bancroft, Ontario, near a most popular travel destination, Algonquin Park. Since it is crowded in AP some of the time, I look elsewhere at times for good spots off the beaten path and again, since I am an old geezer, finding uncrowded high-quality places that won't result in drop-dead exhaustion and blackouts has become more of an obsession than it has in the past.

Here's to finding and spending time in places most won't go to... Rick, the frozen guy... well, frozen at least some of the time spent paddling, since cold weather won't attract a lot of yahoos... cheers.

Hallo. I know you
While sitting with ice pack (again) I dream of Algonquin portages and black flies
I'd like to be able to do that Rock-Pen-Harry Louisa Rock loop next spring

canoes leave lots of room for big tents and woodstoves -- oct/nov is a great time to hit the 'popular' easy access areas of algonquin in comfort, style, and solitude...

me, i have a little property south of bancroft :)

Kim, there was no canoeing this year, so going to those special places in Algonquin has been put on hold for some time. Maybe our canoes will meet on some lake in some isolated spot and we'll talk about how rough the winter was. Until then, we'll trade stories and photos... see ya!

Tump Lion, looking forward to reading about your trips... there are places in the Bancroft area that have been great and I suppose eventually I'll be busy boring people here about them. Hope to read about yours.

Back