• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Live Free Or Die!

Reaction score
Hi, Mark here.

So happy to have found this site.

I live in Hollis NH, in the southern part of the state.

About 10 years ago I met the father of one of the kids my boys went to school with and he had a canoe. That led to many, many early morning canoe trips. Unfortunately, he moved to Cleveland in 2010 and that left me with no paddling partner. After a few years of not paddling much, the past three I've been out as much as is possible for a parent with an 11 and 13 year old.

The boat I always use is a 15'8" Old Town Discovery. I love it, except for the fact that it's about 70lb (holy crap, I just looked it up, it's 87lbs!!!)

For years I looked at craigslist for a wood/canvas canoe. While in a canoe store about 3 miles from my house, I saw a brand new Old Town. It was $7800. While admiring it, the sales person said 'come back to the store at 6pm.' He then walked away from me. I was so confused. So I came back at 6pm. On the rack was a restored 1938/9 Old Town. It was so beautiful. Turned out that an older gentleman who came in the canoe store often could no longer use it. He was friends with the canoe store person and asked that he find someone who would appreciate it. I braced myself for the price. It was 1/4 of what I was expecting. So, I ended up with it! It was restored in 1985 and it doesn't look like it was even in water since then.

The bad part of that story is that it's been in my friends barn for over a year because I've been waiting for a special trip to try it out.

This is that canoe store now:

resize

Burned down a few months ago. Very sad day.

We're in a drought right now so most of my spots are too dry, but I did do the Maine Bow Loop in June. Last June I did 66 miles of the Connecticut.

This fall I'd like to do 2 days and 3 nights on the upper Connecticut starting probably around Caanan. I was up in that area this past weekend and was next to the river again and again and all I could think about was canoeing it. Hope to get some info about that stretch on the site here soon.

Anyway, hope to learn what I can here and enjoy reading about other's trips.

Welcome, I was thinking ahead when I saw the photo and was reading your story that your canoe's history ended in a barn fire.
Glad it still lives on, and I am sure the gentleman who sold it is happy it is being cared for.

you'll find that epic trip - and maybe it will be with one of your kids.

Thanks sweeper. I purchased that map prior to my trip in June of 2015. Great resource.

The only thing I really need to figure out for my trip, which I hope is in Nov, is how to get someone to either drop me off north after I leave my car at take out or drive me north after i leave the river at take out. Some sort of shuttle.

Hi Mark
I started a Canoe-Trippers-plus meetup I am in Lawrence Ma to hopefully find some other people to go with rather than go alone. I also paddle white water none of that this year the water is just soooo low even lakes and ponds are low

Get thee to the Chocorua chapter of WCHA Gathering this weekend in Moultonborough
Plenty of them are from down your way

Joe, we should get together. Can still do the Nashua. It's only a 2 hour trip but it's nice.
Yellowcanoe - I have a lot of obligations this weekend (all fun!), however, even if I did not I'm not sure I'd want to head up there. It's both Nascar weekend and a national ATV event north of here. I do plan to visit them at some point though.

Sure, Nascar weekend I stay off 93 and out of NH I was canoeing white water on Pemi Bristols section below Ayers dam I got off the water around 3 headed home I was fine until Tilton It took me 4 hours to get to the Mass border It tried all kinds of back roads and they were all full also. I paddle usually from March to Nov -Dec I was on the Nashua section in Oxbow 2 weeks ago very nice but low little scummy but not to bad The Merrimack from Franklin to Boscowan I usually do a lot but it was just so low it gets kind of smelly and scummy when it is below 700 CFS because the water is not flowing to good When it is 900 CFS and about it is a good swimming river in the summer no swimming this year.

Back