• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Dropping in from down under.

Reaction score
Hi all. Great forum.

I've been reading for a few weeks now. I found the forum when researching Bill Layman's trip which I found at this link http://www.out-there.com/billtri2.htm

On one of my searches of one of the rivers, I found this site, and was thrilled to see Alan Gage about to go up into the same area. I've been checking his tracker daily since he left. I even shared the link with friends. I'm pretty fearless, and a wilderness junkie, but I must say, I'm in awe of the missions some of you guys undertake. And I'm completely in love with your timber craft.

I've paddled various craft through my years, but never seriously, or enough to gain great skill (I think?) I played in rafts and other inflatable stuff in my 20's, and had a few open canoes through my 30's. Now in my late 40's, I've taken to paddling regularly for exercise for a degenerating spine, and found it to be really helpful. As well as soothing for the soul.

I've aquired a few kayaks and a big "Canadian" fibreglass canoe over the last few years. At the moment I spend more time in the kayak, but love taking my dog out in the canoe. I can't imagine lugging it over the portages that you guys do. It must weigh 50 or 60 kgs. My favourite kayak is a moulded plastic QKraft 3.0 M, and the canoe doesn't have any indicators of manufacturer.

So one of my plans back in my 20's that never happened, was to paddle some multi day trips on some of our larger rivers, and this year that has been back on my mind in a big way. Hence my ending up here. I love the way you guys do things. Old school is cool. I camp simple and normally light, but I can see the canoe making some luxuries less of a burden. (Sans portages)

I think I've rambled enough now. Don't want to scare you all off too soon.

Um .... love dogs, birds, nature in general, peace, water, wilderness, and photography.

I don't know. Enough? Too much? I'm open to interrogations.

Last edited:
Hey there Frogmouth; welcome. This is a good forum for info and insight. Most of the members of this forum seem to be clustered around the USA/Canadian border. Accordingly, they offer the best from their particular paddling culture. I'm from Mississippi and as such represent a very different paddling culture. However, I've gleaned some very useful material from these folks. They seem to be a sensitive bunch but that's just part and parcel to crossing cultural boundaries. Enjoy, Doc

Welcome to the forum. I'm interested to see some river tripping from the other side of the world. It should work perfectly as we tend to get stir crazy in the winter months, so you can keep us occupied.

Welcome Frogmouth. Post some pics of your river journeys when you get the chance. Always great to see tripping photos from other parts of the world.

Wasn't there another Aussie member here who made his own camping gear? I remember a post about a home-made baker tent made from a military canvas truck canopy.

Welcome to the forum, Frogmouth. Your participation comes at a fortunate time for me, as well.

I'll be returning to Australia in February after a 40 year absence, mostly to Victoria, Tasmania and Queensland...although having read some good things about canoeing on the Colo in The Hawkesbury. I may need to change some plans!

Anyway, I did not canoe when I was first there; if there were any open canoeists at all 40 years ago, I wouldn't have known. However, I hope canoeing will be a part of this trip. I would be interested, if you are willing, to visit more, on-line or off, about the places you have been, other canoeists and any other insights you may have.

Again, welcome.

Dave

No Title

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Dave, we will definitely talk. The Colo is a playground of mine. Doc, I'm interested in the difference in cultures you mention. Is there a thread here, or a link you have that discusses it?

I don't have many pics of canoeing. I'll have to do some digging. Most of my recent shots have been in the kayak. I thought I might offend by posting kayak pics this soon. The pic below is about 8 years ago. My daughter on the right in the yak circling a few islands in Lake Macquarie near Newcastle.

Attachments

• photo5161.jpg
    photo5161.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
Back