• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Greeting frm SW Florida

Reaction score
Good morning!

Been lurking for awhile and decided to join...I know there aren't a ton of folks from FL here but regardless Ive found a bunch of great reads and lots of useful information on this forum. About me: I'm a 3rd generation Floridian born right here in SWFL. Thanks to my father who has always been a big canoe enthusiast Ive been fishing and paddling canoes since I was probably 5 or 6 years old. We do own a couple flats boats and plenty of other toys but the canoe is an item that I will never NOT have in the fleet. Recently purchased my first solo canoe, a 1995 Swift Shearwater that I am the second owner of and absolutely love the boat! Excited to get down to Everglades National Park sometime after summer and put some miles under her. Also have a trip to the lower Keys coming up this week which the girlfriend and myself are bringing our Bell Northwind down to do some exploring/fishing. Glad to be here! Cheers....Ty

Great Everglades boat..the Shearwater. You can also get a spray cover for those windy days for it. Its got the capability to carry the water you need for a couple of weeks.

There is also a Glades and Big Cypress paddling and hiking website.. www.gladesgodeep.ning. com Its a little quiet now during the skeeter season.

Glad to hear their is another Bell canoe in Florida. Only ever have seen one other than my fleet. We live in the same state but might as well be at the other side of the world. The environment we canoe in is so different. On my end I love the little tight black water creeks and narrow spring runs. While you enjoy the open areas and grasslands. Took the old beat up canoe out a couple of weeks ago into the Sebastian inlet/Mosquito lagoon to see the dolphins. Just did not feel right being out in the open that way. No matter what we both canoe. So hello from central FL.

Yes cflcanoe, Florida has the best of it all in my opinion (even have a little white water ;-).) Since I'm on the coast we mostly paddle inshore amongst the mangroves and sawgrass when down South. Besides all the coastal paddling we have...doing more freshwater rivers is on the bucket list for sure. Where do you mostly paddle at cflcanoe?

Thanks yellowcanoe, yes I can see that the Shearwater is the perfect boat for the glades...very happy I came across it on craigslist (very hard to find used solo canoes in FL, at lease for me). Im already apart of the Everglades Exploration Network...love that forum!!!

Wekivia river basin (four different waterways), Dead river, Econ and Alexander Springs at 52 put in. Are my home trips. Run a few of the other Ocala National forest Springs and rivers each year. Twice a year go a little further to find tight twisty streams.

Funny you mentioned white water. Was able to surf a standing wave on Juniper springs earlier this year.

Very beautiful areas!! Haven't been myself but my Dad used to fish/paddle the Econ quite a bit back in the day. Only freshwater runs Ive done are down my way a little more (Fisheating Creek, Arbuckle Creek, and the upper Peace River...as well as some sweetwater creeks in the glades). cflcanoe, although your North of the glades you would probably appreciate the website that yellowcanoe mentioned above ( gladesgodeep.ning ...wonderful group of people who avoid the "brochure paddle trips" and find some amazing place down this way. Tons of info and maybe some inspiration for you to head south! :) Cheers!!

Back