• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Hi, I'm John from Ontario

Reaction score
Hi, my name is John. I live in Ontario about 2 hrs east of Toronto in a town called Campbellford.
I have been interested in canoeing for some years but due to work and my circumstances it has been very hard to get involved. During the last few years I have rented and had a few solo trips into Algonquin park. I have recently purchased a Souris River, Tranquility which is their dedicated Solo Canoe. I am resolved to taking at least 4 trips of 3 nights or more before the end of this year. Primarily I will be sticking to Algonquin Park but I am also interested in exploring Crown land.
Right on my doorstep I have paddling oportunities for day trips and technique practice. Why Solo? Seriously can't find anybody else who is remotely interested in canoeing and or camping.

4 -3 night trips sounds like a good plan, it must be nice living so close to some great paddling in Algonquin.

Welcome aboard John. I hear you about not being able to find people to trip with. There are not many of us left. It is mostly the kayak crowd doing day paddles. Which is still good if it keeps paddling alive,we need all the help we can get.

Welcome. I have some relatives that live not too far away from you in Havelock. I spent many a day fishing Belmont Lake, Kasshabog Lake, Round Lake etc.

Thanks for the welcomes.
I am very lucky to live where I live. Havelock is a great place. I would love to live in Bancroft but not much for work up there. One day............

Hey John, welcome to the forum.

I'm like you. Couldn't find anybody to go with. Turns out soloing is fun and quite satisfying. I go up to Algonquin three or four times a year (from T.O.), usually a 3dayer in late May to get the gear and muscles straightened out, and a week in June and September. Let me know if you want any advice or anything.

Ps jealous of your canoe; I just rent Swift Ospreys and Keewaydins. Never tried a Tranquility.

Hi Sturgeon,
I hope the Tranquility is all that I want. I chose it for the light weight, it's Canadian made and I Believe that the people at Souris are genuine. Oh and so far as Kevlar goes I think they look great. I hate portaging. I made my first portage about 6 years ago. A real short one from Rock lake to Pen lake. I think it is only 300m but once I got to the end I knew that portaging just plain sucks! But, you got to do it if you wanna get to the good lakes and as bad as portaging may be I am preparing myself for some of the longer portages in Algonquin. Hence the Tranquility.
BTW, don't be jealous of the Canoe but, I don't mind if your a little jealous that I have a wife who would let me go out and buy a SOLO canoe when what we really need is a new dining table, Lol.
I am very lucky.

I keep seeing all these posts about having to solo trip because you can't find anyone to go with, I don't get it. Most of my trips are to the BWCA where the group size is 9 and I usually fill up if I want to. Most of my fellow trippers are 30 years younger than me so that always helps on the portages. I've lost track of how many folks I've drug along on their first canoe trip but enough of them want to go back that I should be covered with my Sherpas for as long as I can paddle.

Like BWCA66 I usually find the opposite to be true. If anything, I find my biggest problem is who to go with as I have standing invites from several people. There are tons of events and activities to meet other paddlers if you want, from paddle days put on by various manufacturers, to day outings organized by clubs, to weekend gatherings throughout the province. just one example is the "changing of the seasons" gathering up in Temagami every fall.

I used to claim I went solo because I couldn't find anyone to go with but now I've quit lying to myself and freely admit that I go solo because there are very few people I know who I'd want to trip with and even fewer who would want to trip with me.

Alan

Hey John, come on down to Mississippi. We have unexplored waters (the rivers are always re-configuring the basins), the hospitality is beyond compare, and there is always someone ready to wet a paddle.

First off...WELCOME JOHN! Glad to see another friendly person on the forum. Best of luck in getting your trips in with that new canoe.

Now, please don't take this the wrong way anyone but when I first saw, "Hi, I'm John and I'm from Ontario" all I could think of was the beginning of an AA meeting somewhere. Don't get me wrong. I feel like this is the one place I can go to where people understand this particular addiction of ours but for some reason it just struck me as funny. Please feel free to tell me not to share again if this is off putting to folks :eek: There's no slight intended on my part and none will be taken if I inadvertently offended anyone.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

It used to be I went solo because I did not work 9-5 M-F. I would work 72 hours straight then have four days off. If I played it right I could back to back the four days. The people I worked with had similar schedules. As Emergency Medical Services is not something you can close for the weekend, mates and I rarely had time off together.

The tradition continues. We hardly ever have a whole holiday together.. Out of two kids and a son in law.. all work EMS.

Then after a couple of group trips where one person bailed without telling anyone leading to Hancock County Sheriff contacting him at home and another trip where one of the members refused to do any work, I gave up.

I like solo. Now there are two of us retired and tripping. Our other old friends of Medicare age would sooner have a colonoscopy than sleep in a tent. No longer seeking a group but if one happens and all are flexible and chip in, I would go.

As scouterGriz said there are tons of canoe events to enjoy with other paddlers out in this part of the world. There are many races that start in March and the Kenduskeag next weekend is a biggie.

I wonder if there will be solitude on the Allagash.. after all I have to take care of the special edition paddle I am going to win!

Welcome John, I spent most of my life solo hiking and plan to do a lot more solo canoeing in the future. Everyone I canoe with still has to work for a living. Pups!

Don't get me wrong, I would like to find like minded people to travel with but honestly most people I know think I'm plain crazy to want to spend a night in a tent or hammock let alone drag a canoe through a bogy marsh fighting off mosquitos and filtering water to get there. WHATS WRONG WITH ME?
I do know others that do head out maybe once or twice a year but they choose there portages based upon how long it will take to haul the beer! Not my style.
Don't get me wrong, I Like a drink but time and place for everything. If I'm going to be hauling alcohol over a portage its gonna have a higher to alcohol content per weight than Beer. I'm dumb but not stupid!
Snapper, no offence taken, I thought it was pretty funny.

Last year we had a trip planned. My buddy and his Dad. I planned my whole summer around this trip. I mean my WHOLE summer! His Dad pulled out with 2 days to go and my buddy only really wanted to go because of his Dad. To say I was pissed off would be an understatement. I have reached that point in my life (I'm 46) where it is now or never. So from now it is solo unless an opportunity presents itself to paddle with a like minded person. But then it would probably have to be a spur of the moment thing. No planning, just go.

I do know others that do head out maybe once or twice a year but they choose there portages based upon how long it will take to haul the beer! Not my style.......
So from now it is solo unless an opportunity presents itself to paddle with a like minded person. But then it would probably have to be a spur of the moment thing. No planning, just go.

Oh yeah. Welcome to the club. I think you're going to be going solo for a while. ;) "What do you mean you can't take a week off work with 3 days notice? Didn't you see the weather forecast?"

Welcome aboard.

Alan

One thing about solo. Alcohol is less likely a factor. Not only am I not taking beer, likely I am leaving spirits at home. I need not lose my balance doing something stupid after hours

Back