• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

West Coast Canuck

Reaction score
Hi everyone, My name is Lorne and I hail from the west coast of BC. I'm early 50s and I have always had a canoe, except for the last couple of years after my old Kawartha was stolen.

I do have a small fishing boat that I love, but it just doesn't carry the intimacy and personality of a canoe.

I was really missing the back country solo trips so I picked up another canoe. Nothing fancy, a Wind River 15.5 footer - a re-branded Pelican sold at Canadian Tire up here. It's certainly no speedster, but it gets me across the lakes, up the rivers, and pretty much anywhere else I want it to go. It just takes me a little longer than some, and I have to work a little harder.

I have enough experience that I can nicely make do for now, but I am certainly no expert.

Lately I've been visiting some quieter lakes and doing some fly fishing from the canoe. The Wind River is a stable beast and makes a really good fishing platform.

I'm really glad this site exists because it's hard to find like-minded people that are crazy about canoeing and canoe tripping. All I see is kayaks everywhere. They're nice and all, but not for me. Oddly enough, the further into the back country I get, the fewer kayaks and more canoes I see.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more from you guys, hearing about your trips, and maybe sharing a little myself now and again.

Cheers!

Lorne - Welcome to the forum. There are many more knowledgeable folks than I who come here and share there experiences and expertise. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here and learning from everyone's contributions,

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Hi rebelcanoe, Just the ride to your put in must be pretty nice in that part of the world. Next trip, bring a camera and post some pictures!

No Title

Yes, Robin, it's very picturesque around here for sure. I will definitely start documenting my paddles. Here's a few from my last couple outings - still getting my muscles used to the movement again. - next ones will go into trip reports

Jagdaddy - thanks fro the welcome!

Attachments

• photo4055.jpg
    photo4055.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4056.jpg
    photo4056.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4057.jpg
    photo4057.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 1
Welcome from ice bound Manitoba. Winter is coming back next weekend, good April fools joke on us. It has been almost 40 years since I have been to BC. I have relatives in Kamloops and North Van.

Karin

Thanks Karin. Sorry to hear that winter is still kicking your butt out there. Look at the bright side, the owl-sized mosquitoes will be another week further away!

Still have not seen a Robin, house fly outside today but with all the standing water the mozzies won't be too far away.

Back