• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Pennsylvania boy living in WNY

Reaction score
WNY south of Buffalo (closer to Turtle than he rea
Newbie to the forum. 1st time in a canoe was at 14 with my Dad (also his 1st) in 1962. A hairraising experience but I was hooked and have been at it ever since. Got my 1st canoe in 1972 (Grumman 17J) and still have it. None of my kids remember not having it. It's older than my daughter. The eldest has claimed it as his birthright but my wife says it may be my casket. Started soloing 2 yrs ago because I got tired of waiting for weekends to have a paddling partner. Seems like "old" guys aren't supposed to have fun. The only camping my wife is able to do now is in our selfcontained travel trailer. Most of my canoeing is on often scratchy moving water: Allegheny River from the Kinzua Dam to I-80; West Branch Susquehanna; Clarion River.
Perusing some posts I saw several familiar names from other forums. Glad to be part of this esteemed group.

Jon

Jon,
Welcome to the forum. You may have noticed we have a wide range of members...Alaska to Florida, New Mexico to all(pretty sure) of the Canadian provinces. Even a bunch of paddlers from Europe!!
Also a large group of boat builders and restorers.

Do you spend much time in the Adirondacks? A few of us here have extensive experience there.

So, what's on your list for this upcoming paddling season?

There is a large contingent of solo paddlers in Western NY( the Solo Canoeing Center of the Universe). Maybe Turtle can chime in.

One of the best solo camping and canoe events is at a pond near Slippery Rock PA in June. Its a big get together to play with other's boats and trailer camping is permitted at Coopers Campground.

Its the first weekend in June. The event is free and the camping cost minimal

http://wpascr.org/

a good way to meet a couple of hundred paddlers from your area. There is no club involved.

Sure, welcome! be sure to come to our own small solo canoe event on june 11 at turtle pond. Center of the solo canoe universe? Boy do I live in a great place! If you don't already, check out WNY paddlers on facebook. We do lots of quiet water paddles in WNY.
Smiling Turtle

Thanx all for the welcome:cool:! Stripperguy-I usually get to the ADK for Paddlefest and Columbus Day weekend but since my wife comes, we're in the trailer (she can no longer sit in a canoe for more than 15 minutes) I do enjoy your posts on the ADK forum. yellowcanoe-I've wanted to go (it's near my home territory) but have always had scheduling conflicts that weekend. Turtle-same with WNY paddlers @ your pond. I have watched you carry your canoe around GI's football field.

Back