• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Hi from IN

Reaction score
I stumbled across CanoeTripping.net when I was looking up information on poling. I think I'll give it a try once the water warms up because I expect to fall into the drink a couple of times. I was eyeing an ash sapling as a candidate for a pole today. Unfortunately, the ash is disappearing in our area because of the Emerald Ash Borer.

My wife and I are doing our canoe tripping in the Quetico and BWCA. It's a trip, so we usually only make it up there once a year. We use a Bobs Special for tripping with two #4 Duluth packs for a week. Around here we putz around in a w/c Old Town Carleton that I recanvassed 2 years ago. It turned out serviceable but won't win a beauty pageant or kudos for craftsmanship.

Thank you for your wisdom.

Welcome to the group, there was talk earlier of an Upper Mich paddle which would be a lot closer for you.

Around here we putz around in a w/c Old Town Carleton that I recanvassed 2 years ago. It turned out serviceable but won't win a beauty pageant or kudos for craftsmanship.

My favorite type of canoe, it doesn't hurt so much when you get some scratches or mud in it. I'm proud of my less than stella paint jobs anymore, and that cracked rib and busted plank from a rapid on the Grip River in Northern Ontario is priceless.
Welcome.

Well, Moses went canot pooling* for the first time today. A few observations:

1) fun
2) Fun
3) FUN!
4) I got wet but not from going in, just good, honest sweat and water running down the pole.
5) The canoe (Bobs Special) is a lot more stable when standing up than I thought.
6) Poling uses muscles I didn't know I have. Great workout.
7) 6.5# (2,9 kg) is too heavy a pole for me unless I start working out with Hans and Franz.
8) I made a 12' ash pole out of an almost dead ash tree. It's not well balanced. The spoke shave will have to come out again.
9) I shouldn't have waited for my ash pole to dry but sprung for a mail order aluminum pole. That way I wouldn't have wasted the better part of a season. (Note to self: don't be a cheap skate.)
10) Great way of avoiding a shuttle and making the best out of our local river.
11) 12' seems to be a good length because although the river is mostly shallow, there are a few deeper holes.
12) Got a blister. Gloves?
13) The pole works like a paddle for course correction.
14) Don't pry against the gunwale. Bad idea.
15) You are a bigger sail standing up.
16) Did I mention: fun?

* Pardon, no offense, I watched a poling video linked to in one of the posts here and he became my hero. I'm not going back to calling it canoe poling, no way!

Last edited:
Back