• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Another New guy from Interior Alaska

Reaction score
I have been a on and off again lurker on these pages thought I would sign up to ask a question now and then. I started canoe camping in the BWCA back in the 60's after reading some of Sig Olson's books. In the mid 70's the BWCA seemed crowded and I was worried I might starve to death on the wages I was making in the Iron mines (a job I took in order to be close to the BWCA). I moved to Alaska, something I had always wanted, along with having a dog team and living in a cabin. So I did all that, then got on with my life, which has been a good one. I landed a job with the Alaska Fish & Game. It was a job that never felt like work, some of the stuff we did is what people pay to do on vacation.
Anyhow I like traditional gear (canvas packs, Seliga canoes, real coffee etc.) fly tying and fly fishing for Arctic Grayling, bird hunting with my Gordon Setter, and Ice fishing.
I'm happy to be here.
BB

Anyhow I like traditional gear (canvas packs, Seliga canoes, real coffee etc.) fly tying and fly fishing for Arctic Grayling, bird hunting with my Gordon Setter, and Ice fishing.
I'm happy to be here.
BB

Welcome, Seliga canoes are very collectable nowadays, I too look forward to reading and seeing some pics of your times on the trail.

Look like we like the same thing and we did, other than the jobs, the same progression, move to the north west, lived in a cabin, run dogs.... Anyhow, welcome here and hope you have a great time!

Too cool. I also chose my location to be close to the canoeing, although I only made it as far as Manitoba. Lived on the Rez for a while, neighbours had dog teams, that was as close as I got to that...lol.
I have the small town thing going on now and it is a pretty good life. Alaska has always intrigued me. The north is like that. Furthest I have been is Yellowknife and my mind was going a mile a minute looking at all that water.

Christy

I have a friend of many years who worked out in the field for DNR up in Fairbanks until they paid him off to retire early, that deal...said he was having too much fun, enjoyed coming to work every day, early, stayed late, etc... apparently bad for morale for all the other workers.

In retirement he got full time into all the outdoor stuff he had to try and cram into weekends while working... enough to make a guy a bit jealous...

What general area are you in? Looking forward to seeing pics from some of your trips in the future.

Thank you, everyone for the warm welcome!
Southcove.... I am SE of Fairbanks, downstream from the Salcha River. What was your DNR friends name, I maybe met him.
BB

Hal M., tall balding guy who was big time into rafting. Did alot of small plane flying to check homesteader land claims...he was based out the office near Alaskaland park. Are you off the grid somewhat? I'll check my Gazette and maps for personal interest. Been going out there since 1980, have extended family in the Anchorage area.

Last edited:
Southcove........
I never met Hal, I did drive past Alaskaland today (now called Pioneer Park). I have spent many years living off the grid, I am not up to that anymore. When Golden Valley Power started coming down the road I signed up. I still have the outhouse though just in case. We live just past Eielson AFB, where my wife taught school for many years. I spent 39 years with AK Dept. of Fish & Game, in Fisheries that is why I thought I would know your DNR friend. Like him I have 100's of hours in small planes, only in my case counting salmon.

I past thorough there a couple times on my way to the Army's Black Rapids Training Center.

Nice country.

Thanks for the update. Know that area somewhat, been through there dozen times on the way to or from Fairbanks or GlennAllen, eyeball the big planes as we drove past (not sure what is there anymore, know they cut some of the airwing, right?). We've camped many times near Donnelly Dome at the SRA there...love to see the buffalo herd across the river, dust and all. And some good camping and such along the Denali Highway (still itching to do that on a ADV bike one day) on the way back to Anchorage. We hot tented in Denali 2 years ago for 25th anniversary, love my wife or what?!

Back