• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

NOT in the Midwest

Reaction score
It is only about 4000 miles (driving) from Homer, Alaska to the Spring Ozark Canoe Rendezvous in south central Missouri, but I expect to be there again this year. Last year (2015) I took a 2200 mile side trip to pick up this Wenonah (pic 1) in Virginia Beach, VA (found on Craigslist) before getting 10 consecutive paddling days in the Ozarks; the Blackhawk (pic 2) was found in a yard sale, only in need of minor restoration of the woodwork; and the Swift (pic 3) needs no accolades.
I live only 20 minutes from the Mile 0 launch site of the Kachemak Bay Water Trail - 125 miles along the shore of Kachemak Bay from Homer to Seldovia, sea kayak country, and an hour's drive to the Kasilof River and access to Tustemena Lake (stay close to shore - the glacier feeding this lake can produce killer winds (literally) without warning. There are two separate wilderness canoe trails in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, and a multitude of single lakes chock full of native rainbow trout, active tree-chewing beavers that will tail-slap when you get too close, and black (and brown) bears raising offspring, all about a three hour drive from home. Canoe paddling in the winter (like now), however, calls for an ice breaker most years. We CAN kayak on the Bay year-round (but watch the weather, wind & tides).
Already enjoying several threads on this forum and look forward to a pleasant association.
Brad

Attachments

• photo3514.jpg
    photo3514.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3515.jpg
    photo3515.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3516.jpg
    photo3516.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 0
Now that's a serious ROAD TRIP !
I've been to Alaska once. I was in a group of four, we flew into Anchorage Ak. and rented a van . We camped and fished Montana creek for salmon. Made it to the Alaska State Fair in Palmer in 2000.
Great people up there !!!

If you get anywhere close in Iowa. We should hook up !

Jim

Brad,
Welcome to the forum!! As you've probably already noticed, there is a wide range of locations represented here.
I gotta say, that is one funky sheerline on the Blackhawk...I don't think I've ever seen such a profile before.
AK is on the list for MDB (My Darling Bride) and I, someday, someday.
I for one would like to see some photos of your paddling spots, and since I'm bugging you, how about a trip report, so I can hear what it's like to paddle in paradise.

Back