• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Howdy from Wyoming

Reaction score
Well, seeing as how this here page is for introductions I figured I'd do some introducing before joining in on the other fun places. My name's George and I'm from the far northeast portion of Georgia, basically heaven. Unfortunately I've been stuck here in Wyoming for the last 13 years and with nobody to blame except myself I guess I'll just deal with it and quit whining.

Anyway, I'm a handsome man who just turned 37 today and the proud member of a fantastic family including a lovely wife, twin girls (7) and a daring young boy (4). We're heavily into outdoors stuff, at least when the snow is melted which isn't often here on top of our glacier. I'm hopelessly addicted to boatbuilding, motorcycles, fishing and shooting sports and obviously the canoe portion is what brought me here. My current boat collection contains a few "non-canoes" as well as one cedar strip canoe and one stitch & glue pirogue. The two canoes (I count the piogue as such) get used a ton, usually to the tune of 150-200 miles of river each year, but normally only day trips of 15 miles or so each. This next year I will be doing a few overnighters and hopefully one three day trip to Shoshone Lake in Yellerstone.

Well, enough of my incessant yapping, here's a few pics from this year showing the boats and the type of trips I do on a regular basis. Note that in the pics are folks who aren't me, but I shan't hold that against them as it's not their fault and only one person can be blessed with being me.

That's one of my boats, but my friend Jess using it. He's one of the people who isn't me. This is a 14ft Gilpatrick design that weighs 48lbs complete. It'll fit two for short trips and is a pleasure to carry even solo.

This is from our family trip this summer. My folks came up from GA and we went down from WY and met in MO. Spent a week on the Meramec river outside of Sullivan.

This distinguished gentleman has the priviledge of being me. This is my 16ft stitch & glue pirogue. It's a heavy beast as I overbuilt it and triple glassed the bottom to use in the river when the water is low and there's a lot of sliding across rocks. At 98 lbs she's a beast to carry solo, but floats like a coal barge and I'm fairly certain when I run aground the earth actually moves away a bit instead of the hull flexing.

Thanks for allowing me to join the party here, I look forward to getting to know you folks and sharing stories, tips, tricks and info.

George

Thanks sweeper. Let me add that I am typically good about pfd use, but in the pic of me I was testing the new boat in a couple feet of water with several folks with me and in my hurry to try it out I just tossed the pfd in the boat and hopped in. I did put it on before I paddled out in the lake.

Last edited:
Oh heck, when did Robin bring in a point system?

Welcome George, pull a chair up to the fire and set awhile.

I'll be heading back out to the fire as soon as my toes thaw out.

Karin

Last edited:
Hi George and welcome. Nice boats and nice family! And a nice place to live by the sounds of it. Looking forward to hearing more about WY.
As for points, I have it on good authority that I've amassed a stupid amount of points this summer for not bumming cigars or cigarettes...but I might've blown all those points for not catching enough fish. (lol) Time will tell. (I did reach for my PFD every time Robin reached for his GoPro.)

Welcome, just drove across Wyoming this week with a canoe on my truck - gotta say we got a lot of strange looks.

Back