• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from east central Florida and the Mosquito Lagoon

Reaction score
Bart Hauthaway built my first canoe 40 years ago, a 12 foot Rob Roy with a mast step and sprit sail that I paddled and sailed in the Boston area and brought down to Florida.
In the years since, I have mainly owned and paddled solo and tandem sea kayaks but did have two Wenonah Jensen canoes along the way
I now own a 17' Swift Keewadin canoe and just purchased a Rapidfire solo canoe, as well as several models of Kaskazi kayaks than I can paddle both in Mosquito Lagoon and the ocean
I have many more kayaks and canoes than I have time to paddle but hope to retire from the space center in a few years so I have time to paddle, trip, and fish from all of them

Welcome from central central Florida. Just minutes from the mouth of the Wekiva river. Would like to get a look at the Keewadin and compare it to our Bell Northstar. Pocket cruiser canoes are rare here in Florida. Have only seen one other Northstar and no Kewadin. Also have never seen a Rapidfire. We have Wildfires for solo. A local couple that we run into once in while have a pair of Hornbecks. So you are more or less doubling the amount of medium to high end canoes know to me in our area.

In my youth I was a fan of Jensen designs. Now I am into David Yost who designed your Kewadin and Rapidfire.

Have you ever heard of deep creek? It crosses Osteen Maytown road about ten miles east of Osteen. 20 years ago it was easily accessible from a fish camp. The state closed down the fish cap for bad septic systems and now its a long paddle for a day trip to get there on the St Johns. Have a idea for a stealth launch site a lot closer than the normal 12 mile distance. Was going to try and get one of the snow birds from this site to join me. Wish to try it?

Have you had any luck with seeing the bioluminescence at night over your way. Tried it once and did not see any thing except bugs and more bugs that wanted to bite. Wife did not like it and our type of paddling is more toward smaller streams and spring runs. So have not tried again.

Any how welcome to a great site. Most of the time its like siting around a campfire and sharing information.

The last I knew Joe Moore at Placid was going to have a rep in Florida. Not a dealer but someone who had boats to test paddle. A gal in the Orlando area has a Hornbeck and Vermont Tupper. You would no doubt see her on the Wekiva where she does ranger patrol. I don't remember who was to be the rep. Joe at Placid would have that info.

I am a potential snowbird this year ( I missed last year and went in May of all months ack too hot for me). Blackwater is always on my list. I have not paddled in the Mosquito Lagoon area. Id like to do Snake Creek again. And the Wekiva downriver of that party island.

Might have to figure out how to squeeze my RapidFire onto the truck..I like it very much but for streams with underwater obstructions, its hard to get a good view of the obstructions. ( like Juniper Run in low water)

Rep for Hornbeck and Placid is Tom McIntyre
I saw his car with a Hornbeck on it at the Port Orange library 2 years ago where I demoed
It
I much preferred the Rapidfire
which I paddled over a few months and ended up buying one
Tom lives in upstate New York in the summer but winters here

I would like to paddle with both of you sometime

This is the contact info for Tom McIntyre who reps Placid Boatworks and Adirondack canoes

Tommc1218@yahoo.com
Cell 386 316 1943
These apply to either Placid Boatworks or
Adirondack Canoe Co.

Back