• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Greeting from RI

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Curtis and I'm the caretaker of a children's camp on Wordens Pond in southern RI. I enjoy canoe tripping among a host of other things like fly fishing, woodworking, etc...

In former lives I ran several outdoor retail stores in the mid west, was/am an Adirondack Voyagure and ADK guide, and ran my own contracting company doing historical renovations.

I paddle any number of canoes, Wenonoah Encounter, Prism, and Sundowner. Strip built solo and 18.5' White Guide, and a vintage Old Town Octa.

I have enjoyed the small family feel of the site, and just wanted to introduce myself!

Welcome aboard! I've always been interested in that 18 foot Guide canoe. Do you have any pictures you could share with us? We're kind of picture junkies here:)

Small world I think I got my most severe case of poison ivy on a paddle involving Wordens Pond some twenty years ago when we lived in Connecticut..It's nice to see canoes in a world of Greenland Kayaks...( I swear their epicenter is Connecticut and not Greenland)

Memaquay, I'll see what I can dig up. It's a great hull design if your looking for a freight liner. The lines are unmistakable, when I see one a smell Maine!

Yellowcanoe, have you ever heard the expression "preaching to the converted"? I start with the poison ivy pre wipes in March and smell like them until October! One of the guys that works for me is highly allergic, and no matter what he is covered by April 1. It seems like a never ending battle around here.

Sometimes I feel like starting a militant domestic group that goes around and cuts the decks off all the kayaks! (I'm just kidding to all my decked/double bladed brothers and sisters)

Welcome from central NYS. I have a daughter who lives in Bristol so I'm wondering where you are in relationship to there? I'd be tempted to paddle in RI but don't really know any of the locales.

That's all for now. Take care and welcome aboard. Until next time...be well.

snapper

Sometimes I feel like starting a militant domestic group that goes around and cuts the decks off all the kayaks! (I'm just kidding to all my decked/double bladed brothers and sisters)

LOL on that one, especially the weekend shoreline warriors with $6-8K of boats on their fancy SUVs putting in for a grinding 1 hour of protected water paddling, before retiring for a drink and dinner at a 5 star restaurant...

For the average recreationalist, the plastic everyman kayak continues to be a revelation and I am okay with it - they get out on the water, see and experience things that they can't sitting in a ballpark or at home in front of the computer or PC.

I am on LI Sound myself and after battling wind and waves for a year (20 years ago) decided to throw in my lot with the decked bunch when I am in home waters...it takes a lot for me not to go out. For our 3 season camping adventures in the Adirondacks, its normally a combination of canoe and kayak...thinking about a Placid or Hornbeck or similar to save my deteriorating shoulder. And some traditional canvas packs :confused:

Snapper, Bristol is about 40 miles north and east of us, about 1 hour if it's normal (non-beach) traffic.

As far as canoeing opportunities go I live on the largest lake in the state, you have the salt ponds just a little south of me, and a lot of moving water (with a bunch of dams). It's really hard to get that wilderness feel here in an open boat. The camp that I'm a caretaker at (and live at) has 102 acres, were surrounded by 600 acres of Naure Concervency land and attached to Great Swamp Wilderness, and it feels like we're out there. But as soon as you get on Wordens pond (which is beautiful) and start competing with the glittery bass boats, the wilderness feel goes right out the window.

I paddle a lot to get to my fishing spots, and I get out on the lake just to get the boat wet, but when I want wilderness I head north.

Southcove, I feel you! I actually feel very comfortable in a sea kayak and, don't tell my wife, have been looking at stripper plans for one. I don't know if I'll dive into it, I kinda feel like I'm the leader of a revolution by not giving into the decked thing!

Back