• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Hi From NJ

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have only gone canoeing 4 times in my life so I am a total newbie. I am looking to purchase a canoe that can hold 3 guys for fishing. I went to Bass Pro and they have the Old Town Saranc 160 ($749) and the Ascend C156 ($569). The only difference that I can see as a newbie is that the Acend is 6 inches shorter but it has the spot for the trolling motor.

Can someone tell me why the Old Town would be about $200 more? Is it safer and more stable?

Thanks,
Brian

Look for something wider and flatter than most canoes. Also 16 feet seems a tad short to load up 3 people for fishing, I think an 18 or 20 footer would be much more comfortable.

Welcome aboard.

I agree with 18-20', and you are gonna have a hard time finding one, especially in your price range. Most canoes shorter than that that come with 3 seats are very poor designs, and never OK for 3 normal sized adults at one time. Get rid of one friend, and buy a used canoe made from royalex. Possibly a Mad River Explorer (not with the "TT" designation.)

Here's a really good canoe, maybe 60lbs, very good fisherman friendly, and when your friend doesn't come along, you can at least lift it on your car by yourself.http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/5068181101.html
(let them keep the 3rd seat)

3 guys fishing in a 16' canoe is alot of weight and movement, make sure your tackle box floats. Like Mike said, used Royalex is the best way to go, you won't regret it.

If you are on a budget never look in a box store. Always look for used boats.. Many times they are better designs that won't self destruct in a short time. The Camper is such a boat.

Back