• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

New member on Long Island,NY

Reaction score
Hi from Long Island, I've enjoyed looking around this site so I thought I'd join. Quite a number of years since I've done any tripping but lived in the ADK's for a number of years. The long trips were in the BWCA and Quetico. Going to semi retire next year so looking forward to doing some paddling.
Jim

Thanks Holmes. I'm going to have to dust off the Duluth packs, and get the dang gunnels back on the canoe. I'm a boatbuilder with no time to work on my own boat, it's an Old Town sailing OTCA.
Jim

Jim, there are a few of us from Long Island. Coldfeet (David) from Plainview, Hanz (Doug) moving to Ronkonkoma soon and I'm from Middle Island. We manage to get up to the ADK's a few times every year to do some tripping. --- Ray

Hi Jim, welcome! I'm pretty new here also. I'm in Plainview and get to hang out with Ray and Doug when they let me. I'm the slow paddler who somehow tips over in anything. Keep in touch when it gets warmer. Maybe a quick paddle on the Lower Carmans to see that eagle one day during high tide. Be well, David

Hi Jim, Welcome,
I grew up in Commack on a small farm, my wife and I bought our first house in Farmingville, when my job moved, we rented a cabin in Manorville till we could get things set up in Connecticut, we camped at Hither Hills in Montauk with the kids many times after we left the island. Great Memories.

My door is always open to you LI'ders if you want to canoe NW Ct. Lots of room here, Farmington and Housitonic Rivers are beautiful.

Thanks Robin, that would be great. Any places to car camp or canoe camping on those rivers? I believe I went to a nice brewery in Farmington a few years back. Think it might have been a white cottage and the brewer had his batch in a garage with a nice eatery inside the cottage. Have to go back and research that place, lovely.

Peoples Forest on the Farmington River in Connecticut has a very nice campground with riverside campsites. It's a popular campground with not a whole lot of sites and reservations/plans would need to be made asap before they fill up for the season. It is in a wooded atmosphere and the sites nicely spaced for privacy.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...roundDetails.do?contractCode=CT&parkId=100103

The Housatonic River has a campground also, same deal as far as reserving a site. I prefer the Farmington, but one scenario could be to paddle the Farmington on Saturday, the Housitonic on Sunday, camping either at my place or either of the state campsites.

I have plenty of room for camping/shower/camp fire so if that would work, I'm close to both rivers.

These things take planning, if there is an interest let me know.

Thanks everyone. Robin I thought I had responded a thank you to your generous offer but I don't see it so apologies for not thanking you sooner. That is very kind of you.
Stripperguy, I lived in Saranac Lake. I went to Paul Smiths College in the mid seventies. Always have had friends there. My daughter has worked for Saint Regis Canoe Outfitters for the last four or five summers. I can always find work, what I couldn't find was a place to work that I could afford. I was working out of a storage unit for a while. But that was just too cold in the winter. It's been about 17 years since I lived there. The last straw for me was the Adirondack Museum put the Idem sailboat in their collection up for bid to repair/restore it for the 100 year anniversary of the class. There were seven bidders and I was smack dab in the middle of them and the only one to propose to do the repair on site at the Museum, remember I had no shop to put the boat in. On site was an option in the contract. Long story short, they sent it to a shop in Me. and I decided to move back to L.I. and pick up my business that I started here. I soon met a woman, we have a son and life is good. The irony of the story is that most of the displays in the museum are how hard it is to survive in the ADK's and they had the opportunity to put 60k back into the local economy but they chose to send the money to Maine. I've been to the museum a couple time since and the boat turned out nice. No hard feelings toward the museum, I wonder what my life would have been if they had awarded me the contract?

Norton thanks, I have sister thet lives in W. Virginia. Haven't been down to visit her in a long time, we talk often though.
Jim

Jim,
Back in '99, I needed to add an employee to my R & D business...surprisingly, I received several resumes from guys living in the ADK's. One particularly strong candidate lived and was born in Long Lake. For him, there were zero opportunities for a high tech job...he was idling away at the local marina. He told pretty much the same story as you just did.

Glad to hear that life is good for you, maybe you could someday return to the Adirondacks!

Back