• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hello from Southern Minnesota

Reaction score
Just found this site, looks like a lot of good information. First time in a canoe was an old square stern Grumman in 65. The summer of 66 was my first overnight trip into the BWCA and the spring of 15 will see my 50th straight year (God willing) of an overnight trip there. Anybody have a favorite lake or route they would like to share? I have a lot of favorite areas but am always looking for somewhere new to explore.

Rippy, always went in on the Ely side when I was a kid but I have taken a fair number of trips off of the Gunflint too. There are a number of nice places along the southern edge in between Ely and Grand Marias that have always seemed to get less traffic probably because there are not many outfitters there. What's you favorite lake around Ely?

I take solo trips In the BWCA in the fall. I like getting out on Basswood past the motor areas. I like to camp on United states point. I don't cover allot of miles, just mainly looking for peace and solitude. At some point during a trip I usually take the portage from Pipe Stone to Back Bay and spend a night or two at the camp site nearest the portage trail. Not many campers out in the Fall, last trip I didn't see anyone for four days. Dave

Rippy - hello from New Zealand. It's summer time here and my wife and I are just about to head off in our 17 foot Grand Laker canoe with 6HP Suzuki tin paddle on the back for three weeks of solitude and fresh fish. Hope your trips are fun. This will be our first trip in the area we are going to - a place called Marlborough Sounds at the northern end of the South Island of New Zealand. Kenneth

Rippy - hello from New Zealand. It's summer time here and my wife and I are just about to head off in our 17 foot Grand Laker canoe with 6HP Suzuki tin paddle on the back for three weeks of solitude and fresh fish. Hope your trips are fun. This will be our first trip in the area we are going to - a place called Marlborough Sounds at the northern end of the South Island of New Zealand. Kenneth

Please bring us back some pictures if you can .

Back