• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from Arizona (the Verde River)!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm mike and my wife amy and I have taken to water sports since moving to the verde valley - we have a river here, one of the last wild rivers, the Verde River. We've been using the flat bottomed inflatable kayaks for a bit, but would like to try canoeing as there is quite a variety of river here. Also there is a good stretch of river from here (south of flagstaff) all the way down to Phoenix - over 75 miles.

I'll be asking questions!

Mike

Welcome. We had another Arizona paddler here a few years ago. With a canoe you won't have to inflate anything and can carry more if camping.

The Verde (or maybe it's the Fossil Creek tributary) certainly looks verde in this picture:

fossil_creek_01_Qd8lYii_t715.jpg

Welcome. We had another Arizona paddler here a few years ago. With a canoe you won't have to inflate anything and can carry more if camping.

The Verde (or maybe it's the Fossil Creek tributary) certainly looks verde in this picture:

fossil_creek_01_Qd8lYii_t715.jpg

That's a beautiful picture. Yep, the water is green! That is a pretty slow moving part off the river. There are some areas where swimmers lay out on the rocks and sun. Other parts where Kayaker's practice their skills. I am glad it's a wild river!

Good morning and welcome from Pinnacle, North Carolina. You'll find a very helpful and polite family here. I really value the lack of dram....unless it's canoe related drama.

Best regards,

Lance

My Dad had a cattle ranch in northern Arizona for 30 years. The headquarters was in Camp Verde and some our winter ground was along the Verde River. I always wanted to paddle it but was too busy with cattle. At high flows there are a couple of dangerous spots, so be careful. It is not run that much. There may be sweepers and the river does not have that much room to maneuver.

Back