• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Howdy, new member.

Reaction score
Not much of a forum person, but I see this one is about the age old tradition of canoeing, so here I am. Currently own a Old Town Stillwater, an Old Town Canadienne, and my new/old one a Sawyer Autumn Mist, which just followed me home this weekend. You can see all my boats are antiques, like me.
The missus and I floated the Colorado from Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry this past Sept, camping out one night in the canyon. We used the Stillwater and that was a big mistake. We would have been better off in the better handling Canadienne. But I got a really good education on crooked river currents, whirlpools, back flowing eddy's, speed boat wakes, and emergency course correction procedures. The school of hard knocks is still in session.
I have in the past also owned a plastic Old Town Guide, (too heavy), and a wonderful Quintas canoe made in Flagstaff, Az. Which is long gone but missed. Light and fast she was.
Very little river experience. Mostly lakes, ponds and urban lakes. We have a city park with a 12 acre lake close by home where I practice my j strokes. Haven't spent much time in a boat the last few years, but now I'm retired we will change that. And will try a little fishing from the canoe as well. Looking forward to reading about others experiences with their canoes, especially trip reports.

Welcome Larry !

Rivers are so much more interesting in my book ! Moving water can easily take you places, and develop in you, a new set of skill sets !

How many times I've looked away from the water, and nearly spilling my canoe hung up on a submerged rock or log ! Once this past weekend ! Ha !

This site has it all ! Hope you enjoy it !

Jim

Nice to meet you Larry. I grew up in Arizona myself but now live in the the northeast in central New York state. I would love to go back home and try that route.
David

Welcome Larry! Glad to see you on the board and look forward to your retirement trips! David D, just curious where in Central NY are you located. Just went back to my home town for a visit this past weekend, small town outside of Utica.

dougd

Back