• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Canoe Day at Muskoka Discovery Centre (Gravenhurst, Ontario)

Reaction score
Posting a little late, but a canoe event is happening tomorrow (Sunday, June 23rd, 2019) for National Canoe Day in Canada. It takes place at the historic steamship docks in Gravenhurst, Ontario. Bring your own canoe for a guided 1 hr tour of the bay (starting approximately 9am). There will also be costumed paddlers in a Voyageur canoe as well as paddle making demonstrations. I'll be there with Wooden Canoe Heritage Association showcasing some historic paddle designs and my recently recanvassed 14' Chestnut.

More info at:
https://www.discovermuskoka.ca/events/canoe-day-muskoka-discovery-centre/

Extremely extra very cool. I don't think there are any canoe days anywhere in the US ever. Maybe I'll make it next year.

Got to spend a gorgeous Sunday morning paddling with other enthusiasts at the Canoe Day celebrations in Gravenhurst, Ontario. The event was hosted by the folks at the Muskoka Steamship and Discovery Centre. Great place to visit with interactive displays and neat stuff.

discovery-center.jpg

It's mostly focused on the steamships that plied the lakes in the region as well as the wooden motor boat tradition in the area, but their large boathouse in the rear also features some historic canoes. They've got all wooden Peterboroughs dating to the later 1890s, two birchbark canoes, very interesting Walter Dean racing canoes among others all mounted on displays where you can touch and get real close.

mwalker-4.jpg

Muskoka%2BCanoe%2BDay%2B10_rs.jpg

The paddling group launched from the docks on the rear of the building for an informal tour of Gravenhurst Bay. Included was a large carbon-kevlar voyageur canoe powered by seven folks from the local canoe club. A few kayaks accompanied the group. Well known Temagami expert and winter camper Craig MacDonald from Dwight, ON brought along his 20 foot canoe recently finished with a dacron fabric skin. Here's my newly canvassed 14' Playmate floating nice and dry...

Muskoka%2BCanoe%2BDay%2B01_rs.jpg

Muskoka%2BCanoe%2BDay%2B05_rs.jpg

Muskoka%2BCanoe%2BDay%2B09_rs.jpg

Also in the group was a local volunteer at the Discovery Centre who lives on the lake and paddles in to work nearly everyday. How awesome is that! I paddled along side 83 year old Ron Riddell for most of the tour hearing about his paddling adventures throughout his youth. We were excited because we both had the same 14' model of Chestnut. Here's an online bio I found of this amazing gentleman...

Muskoka%2BCanoe%2BDay%2B06_rs.jpg

We learned about the logging history of the bay, the location of WW1 POW camp for German Officers and the modern day development pressures happening in the area.

Back at the centre, some fellow volunteers with the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association worked our booth. Here's Bill showcasing two paddles he brought with him. The one on the left is 100+ year old paddle that his belonged to his grandfather. When Bill was in his twenties, he carved a copy. Both were made from clear spruce and were very light given their overall size.

DSCN2433_rs.jpg

I brought along my display of historic paddle designs. Here's Ron getting a feel for a reproduction of a decorated paddle featured in an 1848 painting by Cornelius Krieghoff.

DSCN2437_rs.jpg

Pretty fun day of leisurely paddling and learning new things!

Last edited:
Back