• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Mid West Mountaineering's Spring event

Dan Cooke won't be there. Family illness.. and it is very serious.. Sounds cliche and tacky but thoughts and prayers...

Hoping for the best, Yellowcanoe.

Not sure Ill make the auction but should be a beautiful day! There are some really great speakers on the calendar this weekend too including the Freemans (lived in BWCA for a year) and some of my former HS classmates on the Expedition panel and the Rediscover North America Q and A.

Not as many canoes and kayaks at the auction. Thinking people are getting wise to the profit margins on auction items.

Shook hands with Kevin Callan, as he was walking across the parking lot, headed to MWMtn's Event.

But the real highlight was meeting up with Sven, and his Dad, Tony ! We had a great talk about building canoes ! Thanks for running me Down Sven !

This was the first year there for Nova Craft Canoes. Nice looking canoes, and more reasonably priced, than others at the show !

Friday afternoon, I navigated the traffic to stop and see Dennis Davidson, at North West Canoes, in St Paul. Just my luck, he was on Vacation. I did find out that Dennis has sold his business at North West Canoe, but would be there to help out.
They had a Voyager stripped up ready to be scraped ! I thought about offering to help, but quickly came to my senses ! Ha !

The good weather made both days, enjoyable for sure !

The plan is to go up May 10 and test paddle some of the canoes there ! Maybe take up my Pearl, so I can compare, side by side.

Jim

Jim DoddSven I think you are both headed to Midwest Mountaineerings demo day tonight, right? I will be there after work, wearing a red shirt and blue swim trunks. Looking forward to meeting you in person and paddling some boats!
-Mike

May 10 Mid West Mtn's test paddle at Lake Nokomis.

That was One Fun Time !!!

I love it when a plan comes together !

Kent Nord, and his son Eli, who works for Bell Canoe, provided some excellent insight to building, and testing canoes.

It's great to know that young people are taking up canoe building !

Sven (Steve) did an excellent job of putting together his North West Canoe Passage Solo !! It handled and looked Great ! Thanks for bringing it to the lake !

It was fun picking Mrindy's (Mike) brain on his composite build also !

Test Paddling the Bell canoes was Awesome ! If you get the chance to test paddle the Bells, I'm sure you will be impressed ! The Magic has and will be in hot demand, but the North Wind Solo stole my heart !

And Last but not the least, was Bob Brown, my canoe building Mentor for many years stopped by ! That alone was worth the 4 hr drive through hectic Minneapolis traffic !

Thanks Gentlemen !

All ready looking forward to next year ! Maybe I can Kidnap Allen Gage next time !

Jim

I know ! Old Thread, But it's on again ! April 27 will be the Auction, and I plan to make it !

It would be a Hoot to meet up with Canoe builders, New and Old ! Hope to see you there !

Jim

I will be at this 2019 Spring Expo. Giving a CCS Tundra Tarp demonstration on Saturday and one on Sunday. Paddle night on Thursday April 25 5 PM, preceding the Expo on Lake Nokomis

I will be at this 2019 Spring Expo. Giving a CCS Tundra Tarp demonstration on Saturday and one on Sunday. Paddle night on Thursday April 25 5 PM, preceding the Expo on Lake Nokomis

I look for you every year up there ! You are not hard to miss ! Don't shave that beard !

I'd love to come up Thursday ! but it's not in the cards !
Hoping for good Weather !

Jim

I had a great time at the Spring Expo !

Introduced myself to Dan Cooke ! I'll have to plan to make one of his Freestyle nights at Lake Nokomis, when it's warmer !

Talked to several Old friends. Lusted over a few canoes. And struggled to keep my hand down at the Auction ! My Wife was happy about that !

Left a little early, as it was supposed to snow between Minneapolis and home ! It did ! But the Interstate was just wet, not Icy !

I really missed not seeing Alan Gage up there ! Maybe next year !

Jim

I hope so. Glad you had a good time. Been getting a little excited at the thought I could be paddling again later this year.

Alan

That's a good sign ! Hoping the Mend is going good !

The West Des Moines is too crazy to paddle yet anyway ! maybe by July ! Ha ! Take care my Friend !

Oh ! Hank Ostwald asked about you at the Auction ! He's Looking to to do a Bushwacking trip in Wabakimi, this Summer.

Take care !

Jim

Back