• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

The Boundary Waters Expo, June 12-14 2015

Reaction score
This year will be the first year of the Boundary Waters Expo, located on the Gunflint Trail in Northern Minnesota. We will have speakers, presenters, manufacturers and equipment demos. The website is http://www.visitcookcounty.com/bwcaexpo/ , or find us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/bwcaexpo?ref=hl . We are early in the process, so neither site has too much information on it, but both will be updated as time passes. We are also open to any suggestions on what, or who, you would like to see at the show

Thanks

Quinn

I bet some of the folks from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association would like to have a spot to show some canoes and maybe even some repairs in progress.
Sounds like a good time.

Hey now that is something I would be interested in attending. Finally an event that is in our neck of the woods. I suppose getting my passport renewed may be a good idea.

Christy

Robin- I haven't talked to the WCHA, but we've been talking to Alex Comb of Stewart River Boatworks. We plan to have a lot opportunities for people to not only look at, but paddle, the boats in attendance.

Christy- Hope to see you there! Get that passport renewed.

Quinn

Geeze, less than five hours from me too. I've always wanted to go to one of those things, but that weekend is the time we leave with the kids for the spring canoe trip.

Well darn Rob, if I'd have known you might have been in play I would have picked different dates. Maybe next year.

That's very kind Quinn, but in reality, June will never be a good month for me until I retire. In four or five years I'm going to start making it to some of these events, looking very forward to it. So I hope you have a great success, and it keeps growing!

Just booked myself out of the office or the 12th so I can come up for the weekend, sounds great.

You've got me TEMPTED !! I'll see what I can swing !

Just a thought ! Shrimp are fine, but a Smelt fry ?

OH ! Any recommendations on camping ? Would I need reservations ?

Jim

Jim, Trails End campground is real close and you can reserve through recreation.gov. you should be able to paddle from that camp ground to the expo.

Quinn,
I'm sure you've heard about Dave and Amy Freeman's canoe trip from Ely to Washington, D.C. last year collecting signatures on the canoe to help stop the mining initiatives that threaten the Boundary Waters. Right now the canoe is in my care here in Maryland while it waits for the next Wenonah truck to pick it up and transport it north where it will end up either with Piragis or back in Dave and Amy's possession. It should be there around the beginning of June. Just a thought, but you might consider arranging to have it displayed at your expo.
Regards,
Dave

I'm glad to see this thread pop up again. As mentioned above, the closest camping is at Trails End, a short paddle or drive from the landing. For anyone looking for a cabin, there are lots of friendly resorts and outfitters nearby.

The Shrimp Fry (and Bake Sale!) is an event that happens every year on the Gunflint, and it was a happy coincidence that we could incorporate it into our Expo. I encourage everyone still around on Sunday to attend. and to check out the Chik-Wak Museum while they are up at the end of the Trail, which the shrimp fry is a fundraiser for.

Dave - North Eastern Minnesotains for Wilderness will be attending the show with their Save The Boundary Waters Campaign. At past events they have brought canoes to sign for Dave and Amy, I'll look into getting the boat to our event.

Thanks,
Quinn

Quinn,

Does a schedule for the event exist anywhere - can't find one on your Facebook page or the Cook County page.

Here is a very general and preliminary schedule. Please don't hold me to it.

Fri: 4-6pm, 2 presentors, followed by a campfire welcoming event/ possible USFS activity
Sat 9-6, 10 presentations, followed by a campfire Q&A and storytelling with Cliff Jacobson, Bob O'Hara and others.
Sun 10-2, 4 Presentations, Shrimp Fry starting at 4pm (the shrimp fry might be later, I'm not in charge of it)

Some of these details could change, but that is the general idea. As the event shapes up more I'll try and keep you posted.

Thanks,
Quinn

The only thing stopping me is time, money, and a passport...lol. It sounds like a great event though.

Anybody else get a chance to go? It was somewhat small but had a good variety of speakers/presentations.

Back