2020 St.John River Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 St.John River Trip

First trip of the 2020 paddling season will be down the Mighty St.John River with my Dad “The Pistol”. He has run it many times and I have the luxury of paddling once again with my “Dad”. Priceless! Thought last year may have been our last trip together, but his back is feeling great and we have started the planning process! Time to call “Norm”.!!
    Last edited by dcloots; 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

That's a great trip! I did it in 2018 (with a total of six -- including a pair of guides).

Comment

Originally posted by alsg View Post
        That's a great trip! I did it in 2018 (with a total of six -- including a pair of guides).
        Looking forward to it. Especially since I get another trip with the “Pistol”. Bucket list item for sure! Alsg, I am sure you had a great time. What were your trip dates in 2018? We are targeting mid May.
        Last edited by dcloots; 03-07-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcloots View Post

Looking forward to it. Especially since I get another trip with the “Pistol”. Bucket list item for sure! Alsg, I am sure you have a great time. What were your trip dates in 2018? We are targeting mid May.
          It was just after ice out, May 12-17. Water levels were perfect. Plenty to float but not so high as to wash out the rapids.

Comment

Maybe we’ll meet on the river. I’m planning on being up on the St John in the middle of May.

Comment

We are one canoe! How many in your group Yaricoy?

Comment

Right now two of us in solo canoes.

Comment

Originally posted by yaricoy View Post
                  Right now two of us in solo canoes.
                  We will be in a 17’ Old Town Tripper (Green). What canoes will you be using?

Comment

https://www.weather.gov/nerfc/snow

All the storms are going north and snowpack is 3 plus feet in the St John Basin. Of course there is lots of time between now and May. Might be early or late or still snowing.. Another foot to come this week.

Comment

Great for the folks that like to sled in the winter! Talked with Norm and he mentioned they have had several Spring like days and predicts Baker Lake will be ice-out on May 8th. Similar to last year, however, with another foot of snow coming that could slow things down with additional insulation. Planning Mid May and will push the trip out to the 3rd or 4th week of May if necessary. We were hoping to miss black fly season. Ice-out and black fly season may now parallel each other.

Comment

Originally posted by dcloots View Post
                        Great for the folks that like to sled in the winter! Talked with Norm and he mentioned they have had several Spring like days and predicts Baker Lake will be ice-out on May 8th. Similar to last year, however, with another foot of snow coming that could slow things down with additional insulation. Planning Mid May and will push the trip out to the 3rd or 4th week of May if necessary. We were hoping to miss black fly season. Ice-out and black fly season may now parallel each other.
                        As I type the whine of sleds going by the house... Yes several spring like days have been presented with more this week. The snowpack would have more to do with water levels than ice out date though it makes sun harder to infiltrate and April will be the telling month as how fast it goes.
                        Mud Season#1 was a mess two weeks ago. Mud Season #2 to come next week.
                        Blackflies meh.. living lakeside they are part of my "living yahd aht". Would rather be canoeing than picking up canine land mines from over the winter at home. Gardening in May is not usually fun.

But the St John season and fly season seem to be separated by a few days. My St John season always calls for at least one night of snow boots.

Comment

One will be a 17’ Ox Blood red (what a great color name) Nova Craft Prospector and the other is TBD. I have a blue Old Town Tripper rehab project that I picked up in the fall that I need to paint and do thwart repairs. It will probably end up being Green but I’ll let you know.

Comment

Well my father (Pistol Pete)and I just had our first trip planning meeting last night. We are definitely targeting Mid May and plan to take at least 6 days on the river. No rush on our part!

Comment

Working...
                            X