• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

my wood and bark canoe

Reaction score
Wood and bark, get it?

Seriously, it's my Loonworks Aria made by Tom MacKenzie in the 1990's. I had it stored in the basement but I sold a boat so now it's on the rack in the garage again and back in regular use. The hull design is same as a Wildfire.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's a great looking canoe, really nice. You don't paddle it with a plastic paddle do you? Just kidding, you have a special canoe, and your pup looks like he/she likes it too.

I took my Border Collie on her first canoe trip at 6 months, doing a week on the Willamette River in Oregon. We went from Eugene to Albany around 70 miles in a 1951 OT Guide 18. Wood and bark just go together. The patina on your boat is spectacular. Mine is old and amber colored. Nice seat arrangement.

Bark Bark bark !

That's Dog for, Nice ride !

Tom knows how to put them together !

That's about to color of my Wifes Rav 4. It would look so good on top of it !

Jim

Robin - I could fib and tell you there's a wood paddle in the paddle sock but there isn't.

ppine - sounds like an awesome trip and a lucky pup

memaquay - thanks! don't even think about putting a square stern on it

Jim - I disagree, your wife's RAV4 would NOT look good on top of my canoe

After having it parked for a year I really appreciated using it again. In addition to paddling like a Wildfire it's super comfy with a high seating position and it's a breeze to load since it's only about 35 pounds. It also showed off by handling some nasty boat wakes easily.

Tom's Aria and the WIldfire are a bit different but close enough to be kin that should not marry. The difference is the Aria is a little narrower inside( ribs) and the WF shouldered tumblehome precludes a wood boat coming off the form( . So the Aria has a tiny bit of tumblehome and now as much flare as the WF has at the shoulder.
The Aria when heeled won't firm up as much as the Wild.

Still when it was getting the boat off the plug it was still a breathholding experience.. would something break?

I have both and had the wonderful opportunity to help Tom plank several Arias. Including mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0655-1-2.jpg
    IMG_0655-1-2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2
And this is another of Tom's Aria's.. Wood and bark This was Tom's canoe and my dog Lucy

Attachments

• 12240394_10206515115331662_6682468507293162871_o.jpg
    12240394_10206515115331662_6682468507293162871_o.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 2
I have paddled the Sacramento River in CA for years. It is surprisingly remote and possible to camp on the islands. The fall is a great time with cooler weather and migrating Chinook salmon. The dogs have a lot of fun watching the fish swim under the boat. I always joke with the salmon fishermen on the river and tell them that my dog can point fish. Most of them fall for it.

The red canoe is also magnificent.

Back