• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

2014 Mina Hubbard Labrador Expedition - Cedar Canvas Canoe

Reaction score
For anyone interested in the 1905 Mina Hubbard / Dillon Wallace Labrador expeditions, here something that might interest you...

Labrador Passage is a documentary film project setting out to retrace Mina Hubbard's 1905 canoe journey through Labrador. The two crew paddling team attempt the trip in the summer of 2014 and will be using as much traditional, non-synthetic equipment as possible - canvas packs, tin-cloth rain gear, a canvas tent, etc. The Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum is commissioning a specially built Atkinson Traveler cedar canvas canoe from Rollin Thurlow of the Northwoods Canoe Company. The plan is that after the expedition the Traveler will be returned to the WCHM where it will be added to museum collection for display.

Here's a vimeo vid of one of the crew members describing the plans for the journey.

Thanks for the link, I have been a fan of Peter's since I first watched him and his brother canoe across Canada. He is the real deal, Looking forward to seeing this movie, good stuff for sure.

awesome... I've been intrigued with this whole thing since I read the first allusion to the tragedy in Wallace's "Packing and Portaging"... didn't realize at the time that Wallace had been part of the expedition, then started digging until I found his book, which I then read in a two-night marathon session. Then I heard about Mina's trip, then her book, and then Wallace's second book... this will be interesting. Thanks!

Seeker, if you haven't read the "final installment" of this saga...check out Rudy Mauro's page HERE

Apparently, Wallace did another expedition in 1913 to mark the 10th anniversary of his friend's death. The plan was to locate the last camp (marked by the large flat rock where Hubbard had his tent) and install a bronze plaque commemorating Hubbard's life, but it was lost during an upset in rapids on the Beaver River. The camp was eventually found and an inscription chiselled into the rock and painted in white lead using a makeshift brush cut from the guide's hair! Wallace planned for this to be 3rd part of his book series, entitled "Back To The Labrador Wilds: Hubbard's Last Camp" but it was never published on its own. Mauro has published the 37 chaptered draft online with photos and maps from his personal collection. It's a wonderful read and fitting ending to the Hubbard trilogy from Wallace's perspective...

In 1973, Mauro traveled with Wallace's son (Dillon Wallace III) to refind the rock and install a reproduction of the original bronze plaque. They found the camp on their last day of searching and traces of the original inscription were still visible. That interesting story complete with photos can be read here:

http://www.rudymauro.net/index-2.html

I saw Peter last year at a presentation of 2600 above 60 and he is a most thoughtful young 30 year old. He had a hoot trying a sea canoe and said there was something up but was not ready to reveal what it was.

I think his goal is remarkable; using period equipment to understand the difficulties better. If you get to hear him at any time anywhere I really recommend you do.

I've heard about the return trip, and the finding of the original campsite, but never heard of Mauro's website. Looks like a good way to spend a couple evenings browsing. Thanks!

Back