• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Early Chestnut Bobs on eBay-Philly area

Thanks for posting, Robin! Looks to be great shape for that age. Maybe because it hasn't been used for a long time and stored well. I sort of recall reading somewhere that Chestnut was using those pretty heart shaped decks early on up to 40's when they switched to their more plain semi circle shape. The original user has carved a custom carrying bar to support their tumpline. Must've been quite the tripper.

Archie Belaney (Grey Owl) was using a Bobs Special when Parks Canada set him up at Prince Albert National Park in 1931. Here's a photo...

GreyOwl%2B-%2BBobs%2BSpecial.jpg

Robin, don't you already have a Chestnut Bobs? How does paddle? I've been curious about them but paddled a Nova Craft Bobs special once and found the wide hull shape and flattish bottom just not for me. Felt quite sluggish. Wonder if this original Chestnut paddles differently.

Hi Murat,
I had one just like the one in this add and was told it was around late 20's to early 30's by Dick Perrson of Buckhorn canoes, but he was just going off of pictures I supplied him. I'm not sure where he got those years. I sold that one, but I have a newer one, 1970, which I recently restored. Like this one, mine had good wood and was an easy restoration.
They are wide but paddle nicely when leaned over. They are built lightweight, so not really good for alot of tripping, they are suitable for easy lake to lake trips at about 58lbs, give or take.

Not my favorite Chestnut, but I like the Bobs alot.

tump lion,
I agree, this one is in good shape and an easy restoration, all the wood looked good including the gunnels, a nice project for an amateur.

Back