• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Winter Restoration - 1937 16' OTCA

Reaction score
Mihun's restoration of his Morris motivated me to get going on mine.
I like using this canoe when I'm carrying a kit much like Robin's. It handles best for me when fully loaded.
Fairly simple restoration, inwales, outwales, one broken rib and a little planking, I started removing the first row of planking so I can get at the inwale. There's a number of small plank repairs that were made way back when which most restorers would probably remove along with a certain amount of plank then replace with a proper sized piece. Not me, they're in there solid and I like the way it looks, used well. I started stripping a small patch of vanish last summer and have decided just to lightly sand then varnish. I like the patina too, the older I get the more I like things that have a patina.
My shop is unheated but when it gets real cold I fire up an old canvas tent wood stove that attaches to 3' legs and place just outside the barn door. I can warm up and it keeps my coffee pot nice and hot.
I'll post an update and pictures from time to time. Btw, I'm not a professional, I restore em' to use em', nothing fancy, I mostly use hand tools. I use to spend hours trying to make every restoration perfect, now I embrace the imperfections and spend the time saved doing other things. When I'm done it'll be solid.

Attachments

• photo1271.jpg
    photo1271.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1272.jpg
    photo1272.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1273.jpg
    photo1273.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1274.jpg
    photo1274.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1275.jpg
    photo1275.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1276.jpg
    photo1276.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1277.jpg
    photo1277.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1278.jpg
    photo1278.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1279.jpg
    photo1279.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1280.jpg
    photo1280.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1281.jpg
    photo1281.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1282.jpg
    photo1282.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1283.jpg
    photo1283.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1284.jpg
    photo1284.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
I like those long decks and the hull looks like it's in good shape. Do you have long length gunnel material? Nice canoe.

I second that. Nice looking canoe and the decks and torpedo ends are to die for. It should clean up nice. Use good varnish when you recoat it eh?

We sometimes do a utilitarian repair instead of a restoration, depending on the boat. They all still look good in the end. If you get stumped by anything just look at some of Karin's builds or ask her for ideas, she is really happy to help anyone put an old canoe back together.

Damnit, I have to do something about getting us some heat in the shop.

Christy

Saving the original patina is a tough one. On most of the boats I have done they need so much work it is just easier to strip all the varnish and start fresh. The Morris gives us an advantage since they were stained when built so once it is ready for varnish we will match the original stain and make it original again and that may help hide some of the new stock. 8 ribs and a bunch of planking minimally. The other 20 broken ribs will just get repaired and be left.

Good luck with your project, what better way to spend the Winter and get your boat ready for another 10 years with new canvas.

Karin

I can just feel the warmth from the wood stove now. Toasty on the hands. Keep them warm... you're gonna need them.

Very nice project indeed. The more I look at these boats with all of their scars and wounds really makes me want to take on a project like this myself.

Please keep posting as you go, but there should be no pressure to do so, You're supposed to enjoy this. Make sure you do

Momentum

One of Dennis's finished Old Towns at Little Tupper Lake with my Chestnut Pal in the background,

No Title

Robin, I've had all the material for this project for three years but have didn't have the time to get started. I retired for a second time last August, I think it'll stick this time...I'm ready not to ever go back, having too much fun. I remember that trip, I still use that 18'er for solo tripping on big water from time to time.

Christy, Roger that concerning varnish, I've always had good luck with McCluskies.Thanks for letting me know about Karin, I'm sure I'll have a question or two as this project goes along.

Karin, I agree with you about stripping varnish. There's only one broken rib on this one so I lucked out. When I come up against something like your Morris or my 1907 O.T. I turn it over to the professionals like yourself and Dylan Schoelzel at Salmon Falls. This 1907 was way beyond my skill set. I'm looking forward to seeing your Morris come along.

Momentum, I run into w/c canoe freebies once in a while. Can work one up to you when that happens. Nothing like free. I wish my woodstove could be in the shop but having something just outside the door is working. I will post progress as it happens.

Attachments

• photo1297.jpg
    photo1297.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
Can work one up to you when that happens. Nothing like free.

Mmmmm, I like free. Please do let me know if you happen to run into something for nothing, I'd be interested for sure. I think I may have caught the bug after just about finishing my Hiawatha 15. Thanks Dennis

Robin, I've had all the material for this project for three years but have didn't have the time to get started. I retired for a second time last August, I think it'll stick this time...I'm ready not to ever go back, having too much fun. I remember that trip, I still use that 18'er for solo tripping on big water from time to time.

Christy, Roger that concerning varnish, I've always had good luck with McCluskies.Thanks for letting me know about Karin, I'm sure I'll have a question or two as this project goes along.

Karin, I agree with you about stripping varnish. There's only one broken rib on this one so I lucked out. When I come up against something like your Morris or my 1907 O.T. I turn it over to the professionals like yourself and Dylan Schoelzel at Salmon Falls. This 1907 was way beyond my skill set. I'm looking forward to seeing your Morris come along.

Momentum, I run into w/c canoe freebies once in a while. Can work one up to you when that happens. Nothing like free. I wish my woodstove could be in the shop but having something just outside the door is working. I will post progress as it happens.

Thanks for the compliment but I am far from professional and not in Dylan's class. I'm a hobbiest, the Morris is my 5th project in 3 years, I only dream of doing this for a living.

Norton, Thanks, I hope to have the otca on the water by early summer. Sometimes I just hang out in my shop play darts and have a beer or two.

Hanz, I'm always learning something new about restorations myself. I see you live on Long Island, some nice canoeing options for you. I live upstate but get to Bay Ridge,Brooklyn quite often to visit family.

Back