• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe form value

Reaction score
6B4DE815-FE57-4900-A8B4-0DC7CDFADF8E.jpeg Anyone have thoughts on the value of original Chestnut forms?
These are not technically for sale but just trying to gauge value just in case

I might be inclined to pay @ 500 if they were within a day or two drive. Other than that I could just make my own by lofting an original canoe. It would be neat to have one though if you were building. Not a lot of us left doing that though.

I'd like the idea of building off an already completed and proven form. Adding in the history of Chestnut would just be a bonus.
If need be, I do have a couple sets of plans to build new but if given the chance i'd sooner work off an original form.

Interesting, there must be quite a few original Chestnut forms floating around. There are at least four builders I have heard about who claim to have them, and I believe I had heard that the Pays Platt First Nation just down the road from me had bought a bunch too. I'm assuming that picture comes from Fredericton, care to give us any other clues, lol? If you showed that pic over at wcha.org, you would probably cause quite a stir.

Trying not to create a stir.... that's why I ask the question here instead of wcha :)

A clue just for fun: cedar wood

Jamie, Do you know what canoe models are in that picture, looks like a Prospector in the middle left.

I know Doug Ingram has been building a few 18 foot frieghters modified for racing lately. Not sure what he has for a mold, probably one he made himself. I have a $100 fibreglass 14 footer that I am contemplating turning into a mold.

Jamie, Do you know what canoe models are in that picture, looks like a Prospector in the middle left.

the top one is a 17’ Prospector. Not sure on the other models as the length of them threw me off. Most were 17 and 18 feet long. Might have been a 15’ bobs special on the bottom.

Back