• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Anyone paddle a Chestnut cruiser ( Kruger)

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts relative to experience paddling this 16 foot canoe solo - my thoughts would be pretty fast, nimble and a bit on the tender side. Looking for thoughts - experience paddling solo while sitting using as a wilderness tripping canoe. Kneeling is not an option for me currently.

Bob.

Are you going to mix in some cobalt blue with the gray paint like Tom Thompson did?

Hi Bob,

I have a 17 foot Chestnut Cruiser that I am currently working on. Unfortunately, I have only paddled it once and that was tandem. I had an 80 pound labrador retriever as ballast. My initial thoughts on performance were, "speedy" and "tender". It may improve with a load. I am really looking forward to tripping in it.

Fitz.

Appreciate the replies so far. As to color - Lichen green - Headwaters canoe . Fitz, I will be paddling with my 60 pound canoe dog Jake. I am 225 - 230 depending on how much cobbler I have been snitching. I travel with about a 60 - 65 pound gear bag and a 30 pound smaller pack. So with around 400 pounds I do not think it is going to draw much water and should be a nice paddling canoe - I am a bit concerned how tender it will be sitting rather than kneeling.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I suspect you will be fine sitting on the seat and putting the load up front. My biggest concern was the potential for a quick move by the lab that might upset us. I am guessing we had 450 lbs in the 17 footer. The previous owner of my canoe went to Keewaydin as a kid and he bought the canoe new from Chestnut Canoe Co. in the 1960's because he loved the Cruisers that were used for tripping at the summer camp. I suspect they make fine tripping canoes.

I hope to have this one done this spring and will report back.

Enjoy!

Fitz

I have one I am currently working on again, now that the non wood canoes are finished I have never paddled it but I hope to make it my go to wall tent/wood stove paddling canoe when I'm not using my square stern.
I would say if you found it too tender you could drop the seat a little, that might help.
I will be painting it Lichen green too.

Just got some good news this morning. My son mentioned going deer hunting this fall to that spot in the Adirondacks I always go to. Seems his new business slows down enough to take a week off so we'll head up there last week of October for the first week of NY's northern zone rifle. I had to give it up as I can't make the uphill carry around the upper dam anymore, but his legs are fine and he will handle the heavy stuff.
Plan on taking the 16' Chestnut Cruiser
He hunts hard, dark to dark, me I'll keep the wood stove warm. DSC00963.JPG

I love pics of your shop Robin. Also, side note. I have been lucky enough to hunt with my son ... love it when he returns home - walking the timber with him, don't ever have to shoot a deer, it is just good to spend time with him doing things we have a passion for - good on ya. I look forward to seeing more pics of your canoe as she develops.

Bob.

I would like to see some pictures of Lichen Green canoes. I would also know what brand paint company has the best Lichen Green canoe paint? I need to re-canvas my 17 foot Seliga, thinking Lichen rather than the original Dark Green.

99EA5C36-AD41-4C6D-A4E3-52596C796AA5.jpeg This the green you are after? Think this was provided by D. Ingram on the Chestnut FB page but I could be mistaken.

Attachments

• photo14460.jpg
    photo14460.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
I would like to see some pictures of Lichen Green canoes. I would also know what brand paint company has the best Lichen Green canoe paint? I need to re-canvas my 17 foot Seliga, thinking Lichen rather than the original Dark Green.

I have a quart and 1/2 half pf of Z Spar "Chesapeake Green" (discontinued) that Schuyler mixed with something else to get a pretty good Lichen green match. I'm going to save a sample and see if I can get some more mixed.

Hey Bob B., That is one fine looking Cruiser, wow!

17' Chestnut Prospector

DSC05702_zps4fa2d2b3.jpg

While colours always look different depending upon sunlight, shadow and especially scanning and projecting on various monitors, I wonder about that "original Chestnut" colour match Jamie.
I have a 16' Chestnut Prospector still with original canvas in Chestnut Grey and its a dead ringer for Bob B's second picture above that he is calling IMG_1762copy.JPG Lichen Green.

Bruce

I can’t offer anything performance wise, but I really like the color and also always called it Chestnut Grey. I have a Hemlock SRT in Sage that is very similar in color. Those are sexy canoes.

cheers,

Barry

Barry,

Do you paddle your Prospector mostly sitting or kneeling? I know that is quite a bit wider than a Cruiser. Obviously less tender, I know it is no rocket, but how is it on open water when paddled sitting. I can really cruise when kneeling ( which I can not do anymore) and sitting I just have no power - I hate it, trying to get better at it so I can keep tripping my way.

Bob B,
Was your question directed at me?

If so, I'm a kneeler.
Even with sore 60 year old knees I insist on kneeling, though it often takes me 5 minutes to straighten up at the end of a paddle... I like the proximity to the water and the control that comers with kneeling. I solo this quite a bit, loaded and heeled over. I'm sorry I can't really compare it to a Cruiser or sitting.

Bruce

Bob B.

my prospector is 16’ x 34” gunnels and a decent amount of rocker. I only use it when I have a big load around 400#. I paddle it almost exclusively from the seat. I only kneel it class 2/3 whitewater. Even on choppy, windy lakes I sit it’s super stable. Compared to all my other boats it’s a tugboat on lakes, it wants to be in moving water. But I can cover a lot of miles a day in it...your hair won’t blow in the wind though. I did pick up a canvas removable Kneeling thwart that secures through the scuppers in front of the bow seat for kneeling. There’s definitely more power from that position, but I’ve always preferred the sitting position for all my paddling except when eddy hopping and doing peel outs. Just the way I grew up.

barry

Last edited:
I have not used a 16 foot chestnut....have a Pete Champlain in the rack that is the same thing but it needs love. I have been using a 15 foot Bastien that was a really nice solo. I usually drop the seats down 4-6 inches until they feel comfy.

If you can find a 15 foot Huron ( Bastien, Faber, Gros Louis etc) they make outstanding solo canoes. They are a bit fuller in the bow so can handle more load but still fast enough and handle really well. The build quality can be pretty low on some but it makes it easier to justify some upgrades.

Attachments

• photo14471.jpg
    photo14471.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 2
Back