• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Looks like a Chestnut Chum

Reaction score
I found this canoe on Facebook Marketplace.https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/661314210944385/

Not much information but it sure looks like a Chestnut, those decks, seats and narrow ribs. Only one thwart and narrow ribs makes it look to me like a Chestnut Chum.

What 's the big deal about a Chestnut Chum you say? Well, in my humble opinion, if your a solo tripper and would like to trip in a wood canvas canoe, there is nothing close to a Chum coming out of the old factory's. Well, maybe a 50lb'er from Old Town butI'll take a Chum.

Plus, Chum owners have a secret handshake.

Fitz, what say you?

When a Chum comes in a 20 lb version I will snap it up. For now I will have to put up with its descendant a Loon Works Aria. At 40 lbs its OK for portaging.
See those lines are really sweet!
I can't be in the club.

How much would you charge to pick it up for one of us, restore it, then drop it off, say in NW Ontario. Then have a Chum fest on the Drowning River.

looks to be the real thing Robin. I see the ghost of a decal on the front deck and that mark is too big for a Pete. The price is right thats for sure.

I hear ya about the 40 lb thing YC.

BWAC66 I knew about it when you where here, I should have said something. Sorry

When a Chum comes in a 20 lb version I will snap it up. For now I will have to put up with its descendant a Loon Works Aria. At 40 lbs its OK for portaging.
See those lines are really sweet!
I can't be in the club.

YC- Yup, There are quite a few better real solo's coming out of the shops these days, lighter and with better workmanship/lines than the old factory's produced. That Chum is a tandem and pushing 58lbs with ash gunnels and #10 canvas. If I where to get it (I messaged the guy twice with no reply so it's probably gone) I would go with spruce inwales/gunnels and lighter #12 canvas but keep the two seats for old times sake. Maybe 52-54 lbs in the end.

BB-That Drowning River looks like a great trip, it's got trout in it too, Memaquay knows it. I think I can only dream of trips like that these days.:(

Iskweo- Yea, I see that decal shadow too, good eye.

Yeah Robin: Looks like a nice fixer upper. I would jump on it, but the resulting divorce would really set me back! :(

Robin: I think it could be the Peterborough/PeterNut equivalent. There seems to be the remnant of an oval decal on the deck. I don't see any dimensions to check in the ad?

Cheers,

Fitz

Back