• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Restoring an Old Duluth Pack

Reaction score
Greetings from the Yukon. Ran across an old Duluth Original #4 box pack in the local gear exchange for 50.00. God knows how old. I had my wallet out in record time and no dickering! A bunch of gear and books came in from the Dick Person estate and this might be from that. It was filthy and the leather was super dry. Put it in the bath tub and went with a 7 rinse hand wash. Then went over the leather 4X with neats foot oil. It really soaked it up. Finally added a rivet for one of the straps. It rejuvenated very well. leather is now supple Love this old gear and love the tumpline.

I made a little video if you are interested. This pack will get a lot of use here in the Yukon and the old worn nature of it simply adds character. Not true of synthetic packs, which just start to look ratty. Probably 50 years left in the No 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVSNT-8KXEc&t=388s

I liked that repair, Thanks. I share your admiration for canvas packs, just something about leather and canvas out on the trail.

I never realized Duluths came in anything other than khaki colour. Your leather came up looking healthy. I have some leather repairs on a portage pack I should get busy on. Maybe this winter. For a pack with dried out leather I used what materials I had on hand. A wash and scrub with saddle soap and a thorough massage with Dubbin. I'll have a lookout for Neatsfoot.

Back