No announcement yet.

Score....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You only need four stakes to get it set up, six in a storm, so it goes up about as fast as a modern freestanding tent. I never set it by myself but I would think it would add a few minutes. I do enjoy tweaking the way it is set up to make it even better or adapt to conditions. Canot, I put an arrow on the outside of the floor that is visable when the tent is folded and rolled up so I know where the front is.

I feel the same way about having the cooking and sleeping area so close so with the stove in there I stay away from smelly foods. No frying bacon.

Duluth Pack used to offer one for I think 695.00 that looked like it was a copy of that tent, but it was much heavier. I have two other bakers, 10x10 that were cheaper than that before I added on stovepipe holes and a bug screen on one of them. Birchy, I would loan out one of my 10x10s but not my Horizons Unlimited campfire tent, not even to a best friend.

My next tent will be a wall tent and I will be sure that the door has a zipper going all the way up to the peak so they can be fully opened for a better view and ventilation. They are great to hang out in, I keep one of my 10x10s set up in my yard in Ak. and the other one at my place on a lake in Pa.. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread I think it's the best combination of enjoying the outdoors with the comforts of being indoors. They may be spendy but all my tents and canoes together cost less than a nice motorcycle or motorboat.

Comment

I may have been wrong about Duluth Pack offering that tent. It is currently made by Frost River and sells for 950.00, if anyone is interested

Comment

Tentsmiths also make a Baker tent but again it will be in a 10 oz cloth

Comment

Originally posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
          Tentsmiths also make a Baker tent but again it will be in a 10 oz cloth
          This one I got is 7oz. I guess it was in the period where he ran out of Egyptian cotton and when he started to use Ethaproof.... I would love one in Ethaproof...

Comment

It looks like Ric offers the Ethaproof version of the 7x7 for 1680.00. If weight didn't matter and I was going to get a cheaper one, I would go with the Frost river tent over Tentsmiths for the following reasons. First, on Tentsmith's the side wings are an option, IMHO the tent doesn't work w/o the side wings because it won't be storm proof. You also need them to reflect heat and light into the tent from your fire. If you do get the sidewing option they are designed to be used to close the front opening of the tent. This means they will be shorter than the canopy and will not enclose the entire space beneath it. This tells me they are not familiar with how Bill Mason used the tent. He never closed off the front and neither do I, it defeats the purpose of always having the tent open to a view. I also don't think the tentsmith version has a floor.

The second reason is that the tentsmith tent is a traditional period design. This means it will be lacking things like grommets, reinforced webbing, and D rings.

The last thing is that Frost River only makes one tent design and probably put more thought into the details than other manufacturers that make many models.

Comment

Originally posted by lowangle al View Post
              It looks like Ric offers the Ethaproof version of the 7x7 for 1680.00. If weight didn't matter and I was going to get a cheaper one, I would go with the Frost river tent over Tentsmiths for the following reasons. First, on Tentsmith's the side wings are an option, IMHO the tent doesn't work w/o the side wings because it won't be storm proof. You also need them to reflect heat and light into the tent from your fire. If you do get the sidewing option they are designed to be used to close the front opening of the tent. This means they will be shorter than the canopy and will not enclose the entire space beneath it. This tells me they are not familiar with how Bill Mason used the tent. He never closed off the front and neither do I, it defeats the purpose of always having the tent open to a view. I also don't think the tentsmith version has a floor.

The second reason is that the tentsmith tent is a traditional period design. This means it will be lacking things like grommets, reinforced webbing, and D rings.

The last thing is that Frost River only makes one tent design and probably put more thought into the details than other manufacturers that make many models.
              All good points. I really think I would get Ric's new version out of the Ethaproof if money wasn't a problem lol... I think for $850 the one I got will do great and I'm sure that if I like it I will get the lighter version eventually!!

Comment

One thing that I was thinking is an hybrid baker/campfire tent, I think the design would lend it self well to a nylon canvas hybrid design! maybe the 3 panels of the canopy out of a nylon/polyester and the same for the back wall and floor and I think you would save lots of weight and bulk that way!!

Comment

Here is some reading material about using a Frost River Campfire tent on trip down the Yukon River.
                  Read about adventurer & writer Adam Weymouth's 2000km paddle of Alaska's Yukon River, & how the explorer decided on Frost River's made in USA Campfire Tent
                  "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

That was pretty cool and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels so strongly about their tent. I would also say that there is a difference between a baker tent and a campfire tent and how they were used.

Comment

Originally posted by lowangle al View Post
                      That was pretty cool and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels so strongly about their tent. I would also say that there is a difference between a baker tent and a campfire tent and how they were used.
                      hmmm I thought they were synonymous and were ensued the same way.... Educate me my friend!!

Comment

Hey Canot I thought I'd add this instruction sheet that came with my campfire tent, in case you don't have one, it was illustrated by Paul Mason.

As far as the name goes they are kinda synonymous because the campfire tent is a modern version of the baker. If a tent is marketed as a "campfire tent" it will more likely have a floor, bug screen and other improvements and the baker will be more traditional. Some other improvements to the campfire tent are the rear windows and an eave on the back ridge that allows you to have the windows open in the rain. There is also extra material on the sides of the canopy to hang over the sidewalls when they are up to keep out weather. Inside pockets are also nice as well as D rings on the inside for hanging stuff and on the outside for tying off for more headroom.

The way the two tents were used was also different. The floorless baker was good for a time when people didn't take their shoes off in the tent. It was also designed to be closed up with the side flaps if it had any, or the canopy was lowered to cover the opening if it didn't have them. The campfire tent is meant to remain open to the view while at the same time being more wind resistant than a baker when it is set up in storm mode,

Comment

Thank you al, I do have the sheet( more like heavy paper poster lol) I can't wait to get out with that tent, maybe next weekend when the wife is back from Greenland and Canadian Arctic!!

Thank you again for the info!!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X