No announcement yet.

XY Paddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been told chewing on paddle tips is a filthy habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Odyssey View Post
      I've been told chewing on paddle tips is a filthy habit.
      So is digging a latrine with one,
      Yes there is a story there.

Bending Branches paddles are worth a look and should be easy to find. The Pearl II looks nice but its bent.. I have an Espresso ST which is ok.. not my favorite..its a little long in the shaft for a 54 inch paddle. I tried a Sunburst ST and hated it The Java ST seems to be the son of the Espresso ST. I haven't seen their beavertail.

Comment

Caleb Davis carefully saws a very small in-line slit in the tip end of his paddles and glues in a hardwood spline to prevent splitting and other damage. It is almost invisible and does not detract from making a thin edge all the way around the blade
        "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Comment

Yes there are various ways of strengthening a tip

Gil Gilpatrick uses rope Dog paddle uses epoxy. I also have seen paddles wrapped with a thin strip so the end grain is not exposed

Comment

Originally posted by yknpdlr View Post
            Caleb Davis carefully saws a very small in-line slit in the tip end of his paddles and glues in a hardwood spline to prevent splitting and other damage. It is almost invisible and does not detract from making a thin edge all the way around the blade
            That is what I've been doing for years and on sitka spruce paddle, I usually use white ash and it is really tough and almost invisible. I can make the tip as thin as 3/16th

Comment

The only paddle i bought was a double from Grey Owl and they are awesome to deal with. Dropped by the factory (fortunately within easy driving distance) and they brought out a bunch for me to pick from and even offered to make a longer version than on the web site. I still use that paddle 4 years later and even though I make my own now, I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BWCA66 View Post
                Want local, all the sanborn.com paddles are handmade in MN.
                Great Paddles ! They feel Soo good to handle ! I'll really put one to the test, if Warm weather ever gets here !

Jim
                Keep your paddle wet, and your seat dry !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	79481 I've got a Grey Owl Chieftain that I like very much and they also snuck a piece of hardwood into the tip. Kudos to Grey Owl.

Comment

I have lots of favorites. I think my main one is my Quimby. 23 years ago it cost $400. It is like new. Yes its been paddled! I regard paddles as important as the boat. I don't think you can buy a Quimby anymore. I waited 9 months.
                    Others are by Dog Paddle ( two) and are a little cheaper. Quite light.

And into mass marketed paddles the Mitchells are really good. Bending Branches good. Grey Owl good. I have some four Grey Owl Freestyle paddles that are 20 years old. They are a veneer over solid but with reinforced tip. I bought Grey Owl Voyageur at MEC for twenty five bucks. Its thick but not too heavy and doesnt mind me dropping packs on it.

Comment

FYI, Campmor carries quality canoe paddles and, with the recurring 20% off coupon and free shipping, the prices are hard to beat. They have the BB Java 11 at net $120. Some Sanborns, and ZREs as well.

Comment

friend of mine picked one up about twenty years ago -- we call it 'the whale spoon' -- far too large for anything practical except hard forward power...

Comment

Working...
                        X