Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XY Paddles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    XY Paddles

    My primary paddle is a ZRE Power Surge, and I really like it. That said, I am looking for a straight shaft to use as my backup, and I do miss the feel of wood in my hands. Curious if anyone here has any experience with XY Paddles. They are beautiful pieces, but I do not know anyone who uses one. Thanks in advance for all thoughts/suggestions.

    #2
    Try Dri-Ki.
    Nothing fancy, just functional and a good value.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Higgster View Post
      Try Dri-Ki.
      Nothing fancy, just functional and a good value.
      Thanks, but I am looking for specific feedback on XY paddles.

      Comment


        #4
        I've heard of XY but never used one nor seen one. To me the two available models make no sense. A bent with a 30 inch blade is a deep deep water blade and they are very wide.. I wonder how the balance of the paddle is.. I'd be pooped with that much square inch area especially hit and switch. I have no idea of the weight of the paddle.

        I know that some use the Power Surge by Zav ( it has a curve too) but is the blade on that that long?

        A curved blade on a straight blade that you might do cross strokes with doesn't make much sense to me.. But maybe there is a Power Surge owner that can comment However from the Zav site they are a good foot shorter than the XYs

        Yikes,,they are pretty but practical? I have a paddle with a 30 inch blade but the blade is four inches wide and the shaft 26 inches long.. Specifically for Canadian Style paddling where the blade never leaves the water

        I wonder how feathering and recovery is with the XY out of the water. Curved blades are difficult to slice in the water.

        No answers just more questions.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
          I've heard of XY but never used one nor seen one. To me the two available models make no sense. A bent with a 30 inch blade is a deep deep water blade and they are very wide.. I wonder how the balance of the paddle is.. I'd be pooped with that much square inch area especially hit and switch. I have no idea of the weight of the paddle.

          I know that some use the Power Surge by Zav ( it has a curve too) but is the blade on that that long?

          A curved blade on a straight blade that you might do cross strokes with doesn't make much sense to me.. But maybe there is a Power Surge owner that can comment However from the Zav site they are a good foot shorter than the XYs

          Yikes,,they are pretty but practical? I have a paddle with a 30 inch blade but the blade is four inches wide and the shaft 26 inches long.. Specifically for Canadian Style paddling where the blade never leaves the water

          I wonder how feathering and recovery is with the XY out of the water. Curved blades are difficult to slice in the water.

          No answers just more questions.
          Good points; exactly what I need to hear.

          Comment


            #6
            You might want to look into Foxworx Paddles. They're local to where I live and have a great reputation. It's a family business and they're very attentive to their customers so don't hesitate to contact them if you have any questions. Here's the link:

            http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/straigh...e_paddles.html

            Hope that help. Take care and until next time....be well.

            snapper

            PS - I realize this isn't what you were asking for but I figured it would give you another option.

            Comment


              #7
              I don't think Frenchy19 lacks paddles Just looking for feedback on a very small company. And at this rate we are weak on giving specific advice.. Is there anywhere there is a side profile of these paddles( I am interested in the grip)

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
                I don't think Frenchy19 lacks paddles Just looking for feedback on a very small company. And at this rate we are weak on giving specific advice.. Is there anywhere there is a side profile of these paddles( I am interested in the grip)
                If you click on this link you will see a thumbnail of a side view that you can click on.
                XY Company - Meany Original Hand-Crafted Paddles

                Comment


                  #9
                  Just heard back from Spencer Meany. $295 (Can) for a paddle, $40 to ship. Too steep for me...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by snapper View Post
                    You might want to look into Foxworx Paddles. They're local to where I live and have a great reputation. It's a family business and they're very attentive to their customers so don't hesitate to contact them if you have any questions. Here's the link:

                    http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/straigh...e_paddles.html

                    Hope that help. Take care and until next time....be well.

                    snapper

                    PS - I realize this isn't what you were asking for but I figured it would give you another option.
                    Thanks. After getting a quite from XY, I will be pursuing other options.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      If you really want to touch wood then the foxworx Roka looks like an interesting option. It also has a symmetric grip which is nice.

                      I'm very happy using a straight shaft Zav.

                      The XY's are pretty but with no customer reviews plus the fact that they varnish their grips, I'd worry that they may be focused more on beauty than function.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by gumpus View Post
                        If you really want to touch wood then the foxworx Roka looks like an interesting option. It also has a symmetric grip which is nice.

                        I'm very happy using a straight shaft Zav.

                        The XY's are pretty but with no customer reviews plus the fact that they varnish their grips, I'd worry that they may be focused more on beauty than function.
                        Good points; especially the varnished grip take.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          You might consider straight shaft wood paddles by Caleb Davis.

                          http://tremolopaddles.wcha.org/treme...s/Welcome.html

                          If you take one of his paddle making classes (or go it on your own wth one of his DVD instructionals), you can learn to make and keep your own for approximately what he sells them for pre-made (which is actually a very reasonable price, either way) Unlike many others on the market, the blades on Caleb's paddles are finished to a thin knife-edge, making slicing type strokes very easy to do.

                          https://www.adirondack.net/event/pad...-davis-164539/
                          "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

                          Comment


                            #14
                            The Mitchell Surreal/Northstar Voodoo is a pretty awesome straight shaft. If you can find one it seems like the Mitchell branded one is a bit cheaper. Mine has paddled all over Northern Ontario and the BWCA, bounced off rocks in whitewater, been lost in whitewater (just once!), and is still going strong 10 yrs later.

                            It will cost more than the foxworx carbon. I used the foxworx carbon bentshafts as rentals for one year and based on that I would say the surreal is many times more durable.

                            Quinn

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Quinn View Post
                              The Mitchell Surreal/Northstar Voodoo is a pretty awesome straight shaft. If you can find one it seems like the Mitchell branded one is a bit cheaper. Mine has paddled all over Northern Ontario and the BWCA, bounced off rocks in whitewater, been lost in whitewater (just once!), and is still going strong 10 yrs later.

                              It will cost more than the foxworx carbon. I used the foxworx carbon bentshafts as rentals for one year and based on that I would say the surreal is many times more durable.

                              Quinn
                              Thanks, Quinn. Now, if I could only find a local Mitchell dealer that carries the surreal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X