• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Scored a new pan

Reaction score
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Robin got me hooked on cold handled pans so I'm always on the lookout for one. I have a 7" that I like and I found this 10" one at an antique store in Iowa over the weekend. Couldn't resist at the price.

Being a retired guy with chickens, breakfast is a big deal for me. I use a cold handle every morning, and wouldn't leave home without it. Good find.

Robin got me hooked on cold handled pans so I'm always on the lookout for one. I have a 7" that I like and I found this 10" one at an antique store in Iowa over the weekend. Couldn't resist at the price.

That's Why I can't find any !!! Ha ! You will probably put it to better use than me anyway!

Jim

Nice score. I keep looking wherever I go, but have come up empty handed so far. Did find one knock-off, rusty and more closely resembled a wok than a fry pan.
Even though I can't see the pics I trust your words. So tell me, is there any seasoning necessary for one of those, like there is for cast iron pans?

Attachments

• 2DAWDEWo7-GYH84T1XlidnXXzpdQ8mjsKVQQEmFSgXb5KXGig5uPs5oIo1NdEVbRvQLVcTwb5ULzptR86ORN-ffwn_opQTOhMVtK
    383.7 KB · Views: 0
I had to post a pic of this dandy pan I picked up in Alberta a few years back, cast aluminum with removable handle for easy packing. 15" Diameter. Handle never gets hot.

Attachments

• photo9204.jpg
    photo9204.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 2
Hello my name is Kevin and I'm a 'Cold Hand Pan Addict.'

​​​​​​​
The one on the far right is a "Never Break" light weight Cast Iron pan.

Hey Sweeper, a big one with its lid would be really awesome!!

Hey Odyssey..........
I use Flax Seed Oil to season Cast Iron, Cast Aluminum & Steel skillets. Here is a link as to how it is done, I do it outdoors.
..........Birchy

Thanks Birchy, never tried flaxseed oil. Looks like a thoroughly long process to season a pan that way, but we're bound and determined to try it. I once left a cast iron skillet on the bbq, and forgot to turn it off. Awful waste of propane, but the bbq and iron pan sure came out clean! Those are interesting handles in the open fire photo. Goose-necky. I bet they carry the weight with ease. Must be hard though to reach down to grab the handle without ...ooops...caught my hand on a rasher of bacon accidentlyonpurpose.

Hello Kevin; they say the first step of the 7 steps of Effective Problem Solving is to first identify the problem. Nice photo, but try as I might I can't identify any problem there. Maybe I need help too? Really nice collection. Didn't realize there were so many different sizes.

Hey Odyssey..........
I use Flax Seed Oil to season Cast Iron, Cast Aluminum & Steel skillets. Here is a link as to how it is done, I do it outdoors.
..........Birchy

I do the same and use only cast iron in the house, none of the nonstick misery... I really rarely have problems with food sticking to it, including eggs and omelette!

I have never heard of these pans before. Found a 6" one that I should receive by the end of the week. Always look forward to new toys! il_570xN.1450454924_lsig.jpg

Unlike Robin I don't use my CHPs at home, I use Cast Iron.

kghu7Ep8djyNtFg7U2gtv7kDqS1xbdV-s92OXsFa-gegCN8ykjTBlSoSdbC8Di7qeWWn6m1rSQ=w328-h246-no.jpg

Attachments

• kghu7Ep8djyNtFg7U2gtv7kDqS1xbdV-s92OXsFa-gegCN8ykjTBlSoSdbC8Di7qeWWn6m1rSQ=w328-h246-no.jpg
    kghu7Ep8djyNtFg7U2gtv7kDqS1xbdV-s92OXsFa-gegCN8ykjTBlSoSdbC8Di7qeWWn6m1rSQ=w328-h246-no.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1
Frenchy these pans have their own Slippery Slope.

Ha! Yeah, I can only imagine. I also use cast iron (nice looking set, btw!!) at home, and on partner/group paddling trips as well. When I solo, I pretty much only eat freeze dried or stuff that I have dehydrated, so all I need is a small pot to boil water.

The pan arrived today. Tiny! Measures 11.5 inches from end of handle across the opposite rim edge, 6 inches across the rim and 4.5 inches across the actual cooking surface. Weighs in at 185 grams. Pretty small; not sure I would bring this on a trip, even a solo. That means I just need to look for a bigger one...

Attachments

• photo9297.jpg
    photo9297.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
The pan arrived today. Tiny! Measures 11.5 inches from end of handle across the opposite rim edge, 6 inches across the rim and 4.5 inches across the actual cooking surface. Weighs in at 185 grams. Pretty small; not sure I would bring this on a trip, even a solo. That means I just need to look for a bigger one...

Aaaannd the slippery slope has started. I like that pan though Frenchy. I bet you can fit one egg and a rasher of bacon in that. Might need photographic proof.

Back