• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

My Woods Wannigan - GCHS Outers Special #41 Pack

Reaction score
You know what they say; in for a penny, in for a full 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" plywood. Why build 1 wannigan from a half sheet of ply when you can build 2 from a full sheet?
This other Special Woods pack is actually a little smaller. This one, I affectionately call my "41 special", will take a wannigan measuring 22" tall, 16" wide, 7" deep (outside dimensions). There is still lots of room around the box when it is slid into the pack. I wanted to be able to fit axe and saw, a tarp or two, or whatever last minute item I could find room for. Despite the slightly smaller interior, there's still room for a pared down kitchen kit of stove(s), pots, pans etc. I left the single shelf loose just in case I might want to pile in larger items. I like the stain mix I came up with for the two wannigans, a witches brew of leftover interior stains. I prefer the lightness of a white interior, painted with latex primer/sealer. The exterior is multi-coated with spar urethane. All permanent joinery is glued and screwed. I nickname this design "my box of ciggys", after a cigarette flip top type of carton. I kept the fold down front as a work space for food prep. The top flipped over provides a handy additional shelf spot for holding cooking items during prep. All the hardware is brass and nickel plated, just because I dig the looks. I kept the sides bare naked, so I can more easily slide stuff down inside the pack. As a result I opted for a toolbox style top handle. Keeping all screws countersunk makes for a snag free finish inside and out. I would've added leather, because I love wood, leather and canvas, but I was down to my last old leather belt, and she told me to keep my pants on. Whatever.

Click image for larger version  Name:	outers 41.JPG Views:	1 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	77682Click image for larger version  Name:	Woods Special.JPG Views:	1 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	77683Click image for larger version  Name:	more plans and scribbles.JPG Views:	1 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	77684Click image for larger version  Name:	outers 41.JPG Views:	1 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	77682Click image for larger version  Name:	glue and screw.JPG Views:	1 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	77686Click image for larger version  Name:	shelf and work space.JPG Views:	1 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	77687Click image for larger version  Name:	Small Special %22Ciggy%22.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	77688Click image for larger version  Name:	compact.JPG Views:	1 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	77689

Last edited:
Oh Crap, now I have to build one for the base camping trips! I really like that design. I'm currently working out of a Duluth Kitchen Pack and couple of dry bags for the cooking gear and it's a PITA but works. I'm thinking now from looking at the meausrements that I could probably give a shot!

dougd

on how to build one out of carbon fiber sheets.

Veeerrry spiffy Brad. I like it but my back is making eyes at me. It confirms my suspicions that this rugged adventuring thing is for ....rugged adventurers. I am more of a ragged misadventure type.

You sure did put a lot of thought and detail into it though. Nice work.

Thanks everyone.
Dougy, the carbon thing is probably the next step. I've heard of DIY aluminum ones.
Christy, if I can I'll leave one of these old school boxes with two of my favourite old school tripping friends. I know you'll use it well. It is not that heavy. You and her will kick old school arse with it. That is what you two do.

Last edited:
Great idea, do you mind if I copy your idea for my GCHS pack? It would go well with my wall tent outfit as I carry more kitchen and all around gear on those trips. Thanks for sharing, looks good!

I think you've started something Brad! I'll have to see how many old packs I have left, I just gave a bunch to the kids the other day. Nice to see the packs back in use!

Thanks. You will have no trouble making one of these Robin. I'm still thinking about adding corner protectors on the bottom. The wood might be a little sharp against the canvas, I'm not sure. Like I said, these are not waterproof, besides the spar and glue. Also thought about adding small bungee cords to hold things in place inside, but don't want to get too finicky. Fasteners and hinges at Lee Valley look like candy. In the end I went with cheap and solid.

These two Woods packs differ in size. I could've made the larger box a little smaller, and the smaller one a little larger. The bigger one is a tight fit, the smaller one has maybe too much extra room around it in the pack. I was holding my breath when trying to slide the big box into the big pack, thinking how do I cut down this box without totally wrecking it? I rabbeted some of the edges to try to add strength, not having any interior frame. That was the theory anyway. Butt edging would've been easier, and maybe just as solid in the end. The big box was butt edged, the small box rabbeted.
You can do all your own measuring of course, but I guesstimate that the Outers pack should take a box 22" high, 8" deep, 18" wide - maximum. I tried the big box in the GCHS pack with no luck. That extra 1/2 inch is a lot. (The big box is 18.5" wide.) I originally had those 22x8x18 dimensions cut to size, and then I lost my nerve, cutting the pieces down even more, just to make sure it would fit the Outers pack. I dry fit everything first, pre-drilling and countersinking the screws, putting it all together to see how it works, and then start over with glue and screw. Tedious I guess, but I don't trust my carpentry. Or my measuring.
Might make a cool woodshop project at school Mem.

Click image for larger version  Name:	two Woods.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	77717

Last edited:
Back