• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Older Duluth Pack

Reaction score
I recently acquired an older Duluth Pack, it is still in very good shape. She's a little dirty, leather straps are slightly cracking, there's some tarnish on on the rivets but other than that, it's a beauty. Any recommendations on cleaning her up? No need to google canvas and leather care when the experts are right here. Thanks!

I use Snow Seal on my straps only because I have it for the leather on my Bean boots and Sorels. Brillo pad and some wd40 on the rivets, just an idea, and I would spray the WD on a paper towel and rub it on, not a direct spray onto the bag.

I have a clean beaver stick hanging horizontal from the ceiling in my shop and I drape the bags over that, with the straps hanging un-buckled to prevent cracks or curves where the strap runs through the buckle. Keeps the mice out and bags in a safe spot.

Now for the most important items, you'll need a rocking chair, a wood stove, maybe a dog at your feet, a small lamp and table and something to take the chill off in a glass. and that's where Duluth Packs shine. You can work that leather soft some cold winter night while dreaming about trips past, works every time.

I did a restoration on an old Woods No. 200 canvas pack back in 2009. It was heavily used by an Algonquin Park kids camp and was on its last legs. Here are some pics of the original condition...

Canvas+Pack+Project+003_rs.jpg
Canvas+Pack+Project+005_rs.jpg

Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but I washed the bag in a garbage can using a small amount of TSP powder. The wash water was like dark coffee after it was done but it got rid of the dirt and the large oil stain. I suppose in higher concentrations TSP is a harsh detergent but the pack came out ok. After a few hours on a breezy balcony it had dried completely since canvas is so breathable. Don't think this would work with waxed canvas. Most of the leather components on the pack were removed before washing since they needed replacing anyway, but the few leather components left on the pack (the buckle anchors) on the pack survived.

Here's the after pic...

Canvas+Pack+Project+071_rs.jpg
Canvas+Pack+Project+070_rs.jpg

If you'd like to read the whole process, I posted all about the project in 4 parts. Here are the links: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Hope it's useful to you. Be sure to post some of your own experiences here too...we all like learning from each other.

Back