• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Building a couple of Wannigans

Mobile post problems. Grrr.

Edit:
Nice work. Inspires me to try to build one again. I love seeing other peoples shops too.

Good video.

Last edited:
Great job, Robin! I'll bet the box was a hit with your grandson. I like the idea of the removable top....much more versatility and you don't have to worry about the hinges getting sprung or catching on something. I'll bet your shop is as cold as a witch's nanny today!! Enjoyed the music as well. Happy New Year!

I need to build some boxes for firewood and kindling. Scaled-up wannigans will be just the ticket.

What a nice job on those wannigans. Love your gluing technique as well. Great way to take care of the excess along the edges. Thanks for sharing with us how you do it!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

HaHa, I can't talk and glue wannigans at the same time!

Good job Robin... " I'm not a woodworker..." you sure do the thing a woodworker would do lol. the only thing different is I would pull diagonals instead of using a metal square... But it doesn't matter it all work!!
I want to make an other one this year for our food box... I hate barrels!!

Feels good to be inside your workshop again my friend. Nice looking wannigans. Those are gonna get used good and proper.

Those wannigans look very nice. I especially like the art work.

If a table saw is available, the corner pieces can be sliced off a 2x4 (what do Canadians call 2x4s?) at a 45-degree angle. That reduces the volume and weight of the glue blocks and with 1.5" on both sides gives a bit more surface area for the glue. The strength comes from the glue, right? The fasteners are just to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries. I like gorilla glue because it expands and fills any nits in the wood and because it is waterproof. It takes an additional step to wet the surfaces to be glued, but that can be quickly accomplished with a spritzer bottle, a la McCrea. Robin's 1x1 and 1x2 blocks admirably do the job, which is what counts, but if you are building and have a table saw, you can try the 45's. Four corners can be cut out of a single length of 2x4.

I like the wannigans, but am really impressed by the video. Thanks for filming and posting. Good music, too.

Disclaimer: I've never made a wannigan. I've made a few boxes, including a wood box and a regalkiste.

Last edited:

If a table saw is available, the corner pieces can be sliced off a 2x4 (what do Canadians call 2x4s?) at a 45-degree angle. That reduces the volume and weight of the glue blocks and with 1.5" on both sides gives a bit more surface area for the glue. The strength comes from the glue, right? The fasteners are just to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries. I like gorilla glue because it expands and fills any nits in the wood and because it is waterproof. It takes an additional step to wet the surfaces to be glued, but that can be quickly accomplished with a spritzer bottle, a la McCrea. Robin's 1x1 and 1x2 blocks admirably do the job, which is what counts, but if you are building and have a table saw, you can try the 45's. Four corners can be cut out of a single length of 2x4.

I like the wannigans, but am really impressed by the video. Thanks for filming and posting. Good music, too.

Disclaimer: I've never made a wannigan. I've made a few boxes, including a wood box and a regalkiste.

Us Canadian call 2x4 2x4's... But our sheet goods are sold as 4x8 x 3/4(1/2, 5/8 etc) but the actual thickness is in mm...... We build in inches, drive in km, use miles per gallons, weight is in pounds and sometime in kg.... we really use all sort of systems.... I really think the the metric makes a lot of sense and really don't understand why we are not using it all the time for everything!!

As a teenager, my friends called me "Bones" because I was so skinny. Now that I outgrown that name, I like the idea of telling folks that I am at least 0.0929869 Metric tons. I have shrunk from six foot one inch to 1803.39999999 mm.
I also like to use metric measurements in wood working, as the numbers are easier to remember. Still measure twice prior to cutting is good advise.

My first couple of camp boxes I used some lengths of simple pine cove molding in the corners, since I was using just hand electric tools (hard to get a decent rip) on everything. Same idea, simpler and makes those joints heck bent for strong. Titebond or similar (might have to look for that Gorilla Glue you mentioned) has done a very good job, though I try and keep people from plopping down and using the box as a camp chair...okay when you are a youthful 100lbs, not so good at xxx adult pounds.

For the one I built, I don't use wood corner pieces inside, I use thickened epoxy fillets and so far so good that thing is bomb proof out of 1/4" baltic birch ply, I stand on that thing many times and I'm at 230 pounds!! Not as fast to get it together, but I think it is worth it!

Last edited:

I think a 2x4's frame would be overkill, if I understand what you are saying. If you are saying just use 2x4 corner pieces and 1x2 frame, I don't think I would like that look. I use my box on portage trips so weight is a consideration, plus the 2x4's would use up storage space. I have a cross cut saw to cut miters but don't feel it's needed here, my wannigan has been loaded heavy and has held up under that design well. I think the screws serve an important function of keeping the box together under rough use. I like Tightbond III, I heard Gorilla Glue dries up in the container and is expensive...but, we all have our preferences I guess.

I think a 2x4's frame would be overkill, if I understand what you are saying. If you are saying just use 2x4 corner pieces and 1x2 frame, I don't think I would like that look. I use my box on portage trips so weight is a consideration, plus the 2x4's would use up storage space. I have a cross cut saw to cut miters but don't feel it's needed here, my wannigan has been loaded heavy and has held up under that design well. I think the screws serve an important function of keeping the box together under rough use. I like Tightbond III, I heard Gorilla Glue dries up in the container and is expensive...but, we all have our preferences I guess.

Agree, 2x4s are overkill. I mean rip a corner off a 2x4. Perhaps a picture to illustrate what I mean--hmmm, telling me I'm logged out so can't upload. Will come back and try it.

Sure the screws help hold it together. I think they'd eventually work loose if that was all that was used. Glued and screwed is solid. True, Gorilla glue will dry up in the container. Seems I have had better luck with storage of white glues like Tightbond than GG. I've just never been convinced the white glues hold up to a prolonged soak in water. Perhaps a test is in order.

Last year I made a big plywood box to use as a float for a kinetic sculpture. Used Gorilla Glue on that. It stayed water tight and the glue did not soften at all, but it wasn't in the water but for a half hour. The wannigan might be wet all rainy day in the bilge of the canoe, and I'd worry about white glue for that. But, then, I've never built a wannigan and freely admit to not knowing what I'm on about.

Back