• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Traditional shop is coming into shape...

Reaction score
This not 100% canoe tripping related, but this place will be use to fix canoes, outfit canoes, and one day build canoes! It took me a "year" of on and off work on the timber frame(most likely 3-4 months.) and a bunch of friends came and in less than 2hrs it was all up!! it is 16x20, the wood is sitka spruce that I milled with a friend that have a large woodmizer! It is my first timber frame. I worked on an other one before, but I was not in charge but learned a few things... This one is all me and only me the than the raising day!!

Attachments

• photo7762.jpg
    photo7762.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7763.jpg
    photo7763.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7764.jpg
    photo7764.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7766.jpg
    photo7766.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7767.jpg
    photo7767.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7768.jpg
    photo7768.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7770.jpg
    photo7770.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7772.jpg
    photo7772.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7773.jpg
    photo7773.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7774.jpg
    photo7774.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 0
That is a sweet deal and better for future projects (hope to see some future shots as you get the walls in and it outfitted to your needs) and making the wood and doing the 'raisin', all around nice build!

Looks Cool !
Many hands make light work !
Will it be heated ?
Looking forward to at least seeing what the choice of siding you will use ! As well as the finished Shop !

Jim

Looks great Canot!! Save room for a woodstove and a comfortable chair.

Thank you all. Odyssey, no wood stove, insurance complicity.... But it will be well insulated and heated, electric wall mount Dimplex. Still al long ways to go before all this will happen, and I'm leaving for a fly in river/hunting trip mid september....

I'll keep posting a few pictures as steps happen!!

Looks Cool !
Many hands make light work !
Will it be heated ?
Looking forward to at least seeing what the choice of siding you will use ! As well as the finished Shop !

Jim

Siding... I'm a long ways away of siding, but I think it will be board and batten treated with Lifetime finish!

Nicely done! I love timber frames structures. Looks like it will be built to stand the test of time.
Did you cut all the notch work by hand?

Nice work. You've good reason to be proud. I've been reading some books on timber frame construction so it was neat to see this.

What's under the plywood floor? I see a water barrier stapled on so I assume the perimeter is wood rather than concrete? Is there a crawlspace underneath? Is it accessible? What did you use for a foundation?

Alan

Nicely done! I love timber frames structures. Looks like it will be built to stand the test of time.
Did you cut all the notch work by hand?

By hand yes to a degree, I had the opportunity to have a chain mortiser for a wile but not for all of it! and I use different size circular saws for most of the cuts...

No Title

Nice work. You've good reason to be proud. I've been reading some books on timber frame construction so it was neat to see this.

What's under the plywood floor? I see a water barrier stapled on so I assume the perimeter is wood rather than concrete? Is there a crawlspace underneath? Is it accessible? What did you use for a foundation?

Alan

Ok, so here area a few pictures... Not in order as usual and I don't know why they don"t load in order and I don't care:p
concrete footings, 4" of styrofoam in between it all covered and seal with poly. the floor is 2x8 on 16 center, the span is under 8 feet. the floor is 16x20. what seals the rim joist to the fondation is Resito membrane. on the floor joist is a 3/4" T&G Fir plywood glued and screwed!
No crawl space!

Attachments

• photo7779.jpg
    photo7779.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7780.jpg
    photo7780.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7781.jpg
    photo7781.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7782.jpg
    photo7782.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 0
Love the look of timber framing, whether it's in a shop, home or cabin. Says craftsmanship, strong and built to last at the same time. By the way where can I put my order in for some Sitka Spruce.

Love the look of timber framing, whether it's in a shop, home or cabin. Says craftsmanship, strong and built to last at the same time. By the way where can I put my order in for some Sitka Spruce.

Where are you?

Love the ceiling height ! I'm thinking if I would build another building, to make it tall enough to store canoes standing on end ! Oh I could make a lot more canoes !

Jim

Love the ceiling height ! I'm thinking if I would build another building, to make it tall enough to store canoes standing on end ! Oh I could make a lot more canoes !

Jim

Hahaha, this one not tall enough and no canoes will live in it... I think I have just over 9 feet under the tie beam(collar tie)....

SE Michigan, Just a little way down the road, LOL. I've read where Sitka Spruce is a good wood for canoe building and hobby airplane construction. Is it hard to find clear boards in your area.

Back