• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Traditional shop is coming into shape...

Have you got a plan for how you're going to lay out tools and the workspace? I have a hard time with getting a vision for that but am getting some ideas from the other thread.

Have you got a plan for how you're going to lay out tools and the workspace? I have a hard time with getting a vision for that but am getting some ideas from the other thread.

Hmmm... Not really. I have really limited power tools. a small bandsaw, I will eventually get a jointer planer combo but all will be on mobile base and probably tucked away along a wall until I need them...

I know where my bench will be and the sharpening station will be... I will also built a 4'x4' mobile table/storage that I will sue for assembly, but things have to be moveable cause the space is quite small.

Ok, the inside of the shop is mostly finished other than the doors and window and the trim work around them... But the "siding" is done....

Attachments

• photo8968.jpg
    photo8968.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8969.jpg
    photo8969.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8970.jpg
    photo8970.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8971.jpg
    photo8971.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8972.jpg
    photo8972.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
Just needs a wood stove. Or an electric fireplace thing if your insurance company won't tolerate that.

Wood stove is a no no in a detached "garage" says the insurance companies... And plus it would take to much valuable floor space so I went with two 2000 watts wall mount fan assist electric heaters!!

That is common g to an end soon..ish...

I made some progress again, slow progress but progress... The entire inside is done, all the electrical is done, I have the man door finish(enough) and installed in it s frame that I had to make since the door was half a custom built, I used the original entrance door of the house, a solid red cedar door, I then laminated 1.5" of rigid insulation to it and laminated to that a 1/4" ply and finished it with 3/8" thick red cedar boards to some what give it a similar look as the outside(original door). Made sure to flame and seal the window perimeter and seal a new polycarbonate sheet for the inside window( so if I hit it I won't brake it) to make it air tight and with the air space makes it a bit more insulated. Hung it into its frame with 3 hinges mounted on ballbearings... It is real sweet!!

I installed some out of sight out of the way shelving to get suff of the floor. Next is the big doors and the large window.
So still lots of work to do and in the summer I will start the siding when ever I am not working or paddling...

More to come lol.

Attachments

• photo9134.jpg
    photo9134.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9136.jpg
    photo9136.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9135.jpg
    photo9135.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9137.jpg
    photo9137.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9138.jpg
    photo9138.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9139.jpg
    photo9139.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9141.jpg
    photo9141.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9140.jpg
    photo9140.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9142.jpg
    photo9142.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9143.jpg
    photo9143.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9144.jpg
    photo9144.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1
The insurance companies gave me the same grief over a woodstove too. In the end we also used an electric heater with fan. Since we are mega insulated it works well but I cant help but think that wood would be a great way to heat it.

The insurance companies gave me the same grief over a woodstove too. In the end we also used an electric heater with fan. Since we are mega insulated it works well but I cant help but think that wood would be a great way to heat it.

I'm the same way, if the shop was a few square feet larger, I would probably put one in and I might do it anyway down the rd, a small stove just to burn some scraps or crank the heat up for finish or glue up... Not sure where I would put it though... I would end up loosing 10 square feet and that is a lot in 320sq/feet shop...

I installed some out of sight out of the way shelving to get suff of the floor.

I like that out of the way eves shelving for cased tools, especially if the tool cases are reachable without a step ladder. IE not above the workbench.

With age I am slowly discovering that the less I have to reach for something the happier and more efficient I am, and step ladders to reach tools ladders are danged.

I have a lot of shelving in the shop, as much as I could install in out of the way or otherwise unoccupied spaces, including partial depth shelving under the benches. Partial depth so that my knees still fit when seated, but set under a 38 inch deep bench there is a lot of at hand storage room under there.

That is a beautiful workspace, especially seen in virginal condition, without a layer of dust and cobwebs.

What is left to do? Tool and equipment placement?

What is the first project after shop completion?

I like that out of the way eves shelving for cased tools, especially if the tool cases are reachable without a step ladder. IE not above the workbench.

With age I am slowly discovering that the less I have to reach for something the happier and more efficient I am, and step ladders to reach tools ladders are danged.

I have a lot of shelving in the shop, as much as I could install in out of the way or otherwise unoccupied spaces, including partial depth shelving under the benches. Partial depth so that my knees still fit when seated, but set under a 38 inch deep bench there is a lot of at hand storage room under there.

That is a beautiful workspace, especially seen in virginal condition, without a layer of dust and cobwebs.

What is left to do? Tool and equipment placement?

What is the first project after shop completion?

I like sep ladder, to get to those tool boxes or anything on the shelf actually I need to go up at least 2 steps high, and that is a great thing, make me move more not less!!

As for the shop, the front barn doors have to be made and installed and then the large bench window as to be framed and installed and then trims around all that... Lots of dust have been made already, but try to keep it under control.

Regarding the tools placement, there is not many tools it that shop if we are talking power tools, a small band saw on mobility base, and that is it. The rest are mainly hand tools and some small power tools that I don't really use other than for carpentry work. One big tool will appear in there at some point and it will be a jointer planer combo either 12 or 16 inch capacity. Maybe a bigger band saw something that have a 14-16 inch resew capacity... But not yet.

The shop isn't finished yet and there is already stuff that went out the door project wise, but I have a few canoes to work on for clients, and a few commission piece as well!

I like sep ladder, to get to those tool boxes or anything on the shelf actually I need to go up at least 2 steps high, and that is a great thing, make me move more not less!!

I like step ladders too. I still have need of something to stand on while reaching on high, and have an overabundance of four in the shop. And 2 giant tall step ladders out in a shed, one roof height.

In the shop
A rickety, oft repaired and Jackson Pollock paint spattered wood 3 step, a family heirloom. From the wifes side of the family, full of full color drip memories from the worlds sloppiest painters, going back generations.

A solid aluminum Louisville 3 step, bought to replace the heirloom. Guess which one my wife still uses.

Two aluminum two step Werners, stored at different ends of the shop. Two because they were used when tying a family four pack of canoes atop the van, and I got tired of carrying a ladder back and forth from one side to the other.

I am leery of the two steppers for reaching tools on high, especially if I do not have a handhold on some wall or shelf along the way. Not so much going up, but coming back down while holding some weight in one hand. Without a hand hold even descending a ladder step or two while holding a tool leaves me unbalanced, with a one foot, one point stance.

With a taller step ladder I have some hand support in front or above me, and can always maintain at least a 2 point stance. I have unbalanced one point stance missed that last step more than once and I am getting too old for that crap.

I am also leery of step ladders with insufficiently size feet. The cheap tubular aluminum frame step ladders do not have a lot of footprint, which is not a good thing if used outside. Say, outside the van tying the boats on the rack. On soft, rain sodden ground. When one leg abruptly sinks four inches into the earth.

After the second trip where I suddenly found myself prostrate in the mud alongside the van that tubular ladder was irreparably torqued sideways, and I bought those nice broad footed Werners. I like that the feet on the step side, where my weight rests on the legs, are wide and broad.

P2240572 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Yeah, I managed to topple off the van roof rack ladder twice. Both times at the end of races, with an appreciative audience parked all around.

So I went up the cheap 2 step ladder the other day and while i was tip toeing to reach a box..... one side of the step I was on decided to let go... I nearly fell off but manage to crap my weight to the "good" side and survived! So off I go to Canadian Tire to get my self a good 3 step but all they have was rated for 225lbs max and were made of more plastic than I'd like. So I passed. I will probably end up making a nice wooden one when I have the time.

So I went up the cheap 2 step ladder the other day and while i was tip toeing to reach a box..... one side of the step I was on decided to let go... I nearly fell off but manage to crap my weight to the "good" side and survived! So off I go to Canadian Tire to get my self a good 3 step but all they have was rated for 225lbs max and were made of more plastic than I'd like. So I passed. I will probably end up making a nice wooden one when I have the time.

I would have crapted my weight too, probably on the way to finding myself crumpled on the floor.

I like those little two step Werners, big front feet and 300 lb capacity.

https://www.zoro.com/werner-step-st...MI7srjjqaA2gIVk47ICh02wAXKEAQYASABEgLFD_D_BwE

Same design and capacity as the Werners, the 4 foot Louisville.

https://louisvilleladder.com/typefinder/ladder/type/laddertype/18

A bit of new stuff.... Waring on the tow front barn doors, made some shop organization stuff, a paper towel rack, a clamps rack, one more out of sight out of the way shelf, a coat rack and a saw rack.... Things are starting to get the way I like it, some what organized!!

Attachments

• photo9206.jpg
    photo9206.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9207.jpg
    photo9207.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9208.jpg
    photo9208.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9209.jpg
    photo9209.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9210.jpg
    photo9210.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9211.jpg
    photo9211.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9212.jpg
    photo9212.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9213.jpg
    photo9213.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9214.jpg
    photo9214.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9215.jpg
    photo9215.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9216.jpg
    photo9216.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9217.jpg
    photo9217.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9218.jpg
    photo9218.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9219.jpg
    photo9219.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9220.jpg
    photo9220.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9221.jpg
    photo9221.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9222.jpg
    photo9222.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
The barn doors almost completed... This is how they gonna look on the outside! Still need some trims and hinges...

Attachments

• photo9262.jpg
    photo9262.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9263.jpg
    photo9263.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 0
The barn doors are mostly finish and temporarily install in there resting place, just waiting on hinges!

Attachments

• photo9307.jpg
    photo9307.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9306.jpg
    photo9306.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 0
The big window is in its resting place!! It's an old double pane we use to have in the house, it was framed to sit vertical in the wall I wanted it to be horizontal so I unframed it and build a new frame for it and then window return and sill and trims!!

Attachments

• photo9370.jpg
    photo9370.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9371.jpg
    photo9371.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9372.jpg
    photo9372.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9373.jpg
    photo9373.jpg