• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Traditional shop is coming into shape...

Got warm all the sudden here so I started to insulate the outside walls I'm hoping to be done by friday!! The green tape is Sigga tape, it is use to tape the seams on the Plywood sheeting so the Ply become your vapour barrier and you don't need to use Poly and all the detailing it involves!! So that is 4" rigid foam R5 to the inch( R20) and I will have R12 in side in-between the studs after all the electrical is in by the end of January... 100A panel, new service with its own meter and all!!

Attachments

• photo8451.jpg
    photo8451.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8452.jpg
    photo8452.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8453.jpg
    photo8453.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8454.jpg
    photo8454.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8455.jpg
    photo8455.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 0
All insulated and Tyveked up( I also did the gabble ends today!) Now on to the strapping and the outside will stay like that till spring when I will do the siding!

Attachments

• photo8496.jpg
    photo8496.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8497.jpg
    photo8497.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 0
Nice work, great job on the insulation. Will you be working inside it this winter?

This week it will be strapping then the doors, The electrician came 2 weeks ago to look at the job, and will be able to start mid January... Not cheap, but it will be all LED lights and 2 2000w wall mount heaters, ceiling fan, outside light and outlet(one 220 for a welder) etc etc... And I hope to do the moving of the basement shop into the real shop end of January beginning of February... Then organizing and setting up... I have a few jobs to be done before summer, mainly canoes to be work on, about 5 paddles, and then I need to find a job for the summer to pay for the shop(going back to carpentry for a friend)!

But yeah to answer you question, I plan on being able to work in there this winter/spring....

Nice !
From my own experience, they are never Big Enough !. Part of My problem, is I have too many other interests, and they all seem to gather at the same place !

You will Love it !

Jim

Nice !
From my own experience, they are never Big Enough !. Part of My problem, is I have too many other interests, and they all seem to gather at the same place !

You will Love it !

Jim

That is a fact for sure, but being in town, that is the biggest I could build w/o taking over the entire back yard. And plus it will be 222.22222% bigger than the one I am in now... And I'm not talking about the high ceiling, the window to the outside, the large door to get stuff in and out, the endless power, the beauty of the built(makes a difference when you have to be in there everyday) rather be in a nice shop than a plywood shack!!

Good to keep things level at every steps... make for an easier time later down the road.

Attachments

• photo8518.jpg
    photo8518.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8519.jpg
    photo8519.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8520.jpg
    photo8520.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8522.jpg
    photo8522.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8521.jpg
    photo8521.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 0
Ok, the outside is done till I can do siding( need money) in the spring. Now on to the doors and windows!!

Attachments

• photo8544.jpg
    photo8544.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 0
Looking great. What do you think your first project will be when the shop is all done? Maybe a form for a wood canvas canoe?

Looking great. What do you think your first project will be when the shop is all done? Maybe a form for a wood canvas canoe?

Hahaha, the first few projects won't be for me, I have a back log of jobs for clients that is waiting for me... But still will need to go back banging nails in the spring and summer to pay for it all!!

As for a a form, I have a friend thatI want to go apprentice with and he wants me to go back home with one of 2 forms!!! hopefully I can make that happen in the next year or so.

Coming along nicely. My son in law says Tyvek is the official Maine siding. I like those moose horns, they ad character.

Hahaha, there is a lot of unaided Tyvek up here too lol. Those antlers look really small on the front up there, but maybe I get a bigger if no other choices in the future....

Electrician was here yesterday and today, 12hrs later the rough in is all done( other then the grousing plate that have to be dug in 2 feet deep and I mean up here it has been winer for the last 4 months lol so I had to be a imaginative.....) anyway a new 100Amps service only for the shop!!
Next is the territorial inspection and after that the electrical company to come and hooked me up and after that, well, there will be other stuff....

Attachments

• photo8756.jpg
    photo8756.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8757.jpg
    photo8757.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8758.jpg
    photo8758.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8759.jpg
    photo8759.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8760.jpg
    photo8760.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8761.jpg
    photo8761.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8762.jpg
    photo8762.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8763.jpg
    photo8763.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 0
Looks Great !

Love the beer under the Fuse box ! Was that an incentive for the Electrician When he finished ?

I bought a set of those drop cord lights like you have. I think they would be great, with some LED bulbs. ! I haven't got them up in my carriage house yet , but I hope to.

Jim

Looks Great !

Love the beer under the Fuse box ! Was that an incentive for the Electrician When he finished ?

I bought a set of those drop cord lights like you have. I think they would be great, with some LED bulbs. ! I haven't got them up in my carriage house yet , but I hope to.

Jim

Hahaha I shared one with the electrician, not the exact same one, but same style and same %.... 9.5% and then I had one on my own after he left!!

It's looking great! I worked on mine today, trying to get the walls done. Second time I've done this, measured from the wrong side for around a window and cut it arse backwards. A couple cans of liquid courage helped dull the pain! dang, I ain't no carpenter!

It's looking great! I worked on mine today, trying to get the walls done. Second time I've done this, measured from the wrong side for around a window and cut it arse backwards. A couple cans of liquid courage helped dull the pain! dang, I ain't no carpenter!

Hahaha... Don't ask me how many time I cut stuff to short or the wrong way.... I was helping the electrician running wires and twice I cut them a foot too short... He didn't say anything cause he probably did ti him self a few time too!!

Hahaha... Don't ask me how many time I cut stuff to short or the wrong way.... I was helping the electrician running wires and twice I cut them a foot too short... He didn't say anything cause he probably did ti him self a few time too!!
Try too long and too much.
I and a friend "pulled wire" in a reno house this summer. The electrician was too busy to get it started, so we did. We were anxious to get boarding, taping, mudding...When the electrician did finally come to finish what we started he could barely stop from laughing. He called us "rich old guys", because we'd pulled so many single runs rather than series (a lot of wire) and left so much extra coiled at the new 100 amp box ( a lot of wire) he said he could've wired an extra house with all that we wasted. Oh well. We were feeling like pros until he said that. Ha. Legends in our own minds. He did really nice work, and he took the time to teach us a few things. Next time we'll slow down. And use way less wire. Or maybe just find something else to do until our electrician shows up. I blame this all on my friend. He's always in a hurry, and one of his favourite sayings is "How hard can it be?" My response is always the same " How hard can it be to f-up?"

Nice looking shops guys. I like the standard beer bottle for comparison photo Canot. Good to have standards. Did you use that lamp to thaw the ground? Good idea. With no running water lines you'd need to ground somewhere. Must be tough to dig at this time of year up there. Com'on springtime!

Try too long and too much.
I and a friend "pulled wire" in a reno house this summer. The electrician was too busy to get it started, so we did. We were anxious to get boarding, taping, mudding...When the electrician did finally come to finish what we started he could barely stop from laughing. He called us "rich old guys", because we'd pulled so many single runs rather than series (a lot of wire) and left so much extra coiled at the new 100 amp box ( a lot of wire) he said he could've wired an extra house with all that we wasted. Oh well. We were feeling like pros until he said that. Ha. Legends in our own minds. He did really nice work, and he took the time to teach us a few things. Next time we'll slow down. And use way less wire. Or maybe just find something else to do until our electrician shows up. I blame this all on my friend. He's always in a hurry, and one of his favourite sayings is "How hard can it be?" My response is always the same " How hard can it be to f-up?"

Nice looking shops guys. I like the standard beer bottle for comparison photo Canot. Good to have standards. Did you use that lamp to thaw the ground? Good idea. With no running water lines you'd need to ground somewhere. Must be tough to dig at this time of year up there. Com'on springtime!

crap that is funny, we all a have a friend that think that way... Some of them can actually do make it happen, and some others just get in trouble....

I did use that 500w halogen land to thaw the ground, it wasn't fast but it worked and it was safer than using a tiger torch that close to the building....

As for standard size beer bottle, that is the only size the beer I drink comes in... 650ml or bigger... 9% or more... you know standard stuff!!

Now the only thing I need is to get the Territorial electrical inspector to show up and forward the approval to the electrical company so they can come and hook me up so I can move on to finish that thing so I can start making some money to be able to some what pay to get out of the hole I dug my self in.....

I did use that 500w halogen land to thaw the ground, it wasn't fast but it worked and it was safer than using a tiger torch that close to the building

Those halogen floodlights are handy for some boatwork as well. I have used them for removing big dents from the stems of Royalex and poly boats. Much easier than using a heat gun or boiling water, just set the lamp 12 to 18 inches away from the hull and let it heat up the hull.

It will gradually heat up a large area of deformed plastic, which can be pushed back into shape and braced there while it cools.

Back