• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Classic sheath knife ideas

Reaction score
My Grandsons are turning 8 and 7 this year. Both dads are very much outdoor guys, and the boys are following in their foot steps. I want to buy the boys used classic sheath knives for their birthdays, and make sheaths myself from my new hobby, leatherworking.
So, of course, an 8 yo really doesn't need a big sharp blade, but we are done with giving the boys plastic junk. I have permission to give the boys knives and their parents will be in control of them till they are old enough to safely handle them.
I see on eBay lots of old knives, but I'm not really knowledgeable about the classics.
What I'm looking for is a wood handled classic sheath knife, something a boy can hold, in the $20-30 range used on eBay. I know that's not much when you look at today's prices but any leads on old affordable classics will be appreciated

An unique and practical idea with an ADK canoe theme would to get inexpensive small butcher shaped carbon steel knives from Ontario knife, and modify them into a Nesmuk knife shape. It's real easy to do with just a hack saw and bench grinder. They have wooden handles. I made one years ago, and it is a real practical camp knife. Be sure to put a thin metal insert inside the sheath on the sharp edge side to insure safety.
Turtle

What about buying a puukko blade blank? I know it's not quite what you asked for but you can get some nice stick tang blades for less than $20 and making a handle is fairly straightforward, a lot less fuss than a full tang blade. Ragweed Forge has a nice selection.

My daughter got her first knife she was 6 I think and she's now 9. the knife is an Opinel #6 or 7 carbon blade and razor sharp cause there is nothing more dangerous than a dull tool!! The Opinel is a pocket knife, but I made a sheath out of vegetable tan leather that she can hang around her neck or at the waist. It is a great first knife that are hight quality for less than $20.

Dad got me my first knife around 8 or 10 years old. It was a Buck classic folder. When i was 13 i lost it over the side of the boat while fishing and cutting the line off a dink northern which totally swallowed the hook. "That's why I always say to keep the knife inside the boat" he said with a shrug. I know it's not what you want for the boys, but it was my first. I didn't get a sheath knife until my early teens when I could afford my own. Dad wouldn't get me another. Lesson learned! Lol
Jason

I buy blades here. Many choices below $20. Then I just pick out some cool scrap wood, antler etc. and epoxy the blade into the handle.

If you don't find what you are looking for here's an idea. Put some wood handles on it and you have two hobbies.
kkbl014b_1_600.jpg

Robin - For what it's worth, I'd second the purchase of a folding Opinel knife. They're pretty much all I use and the blade can be locked so it won't fold unnecessarily on your fingers. I've made a couple of sheaths for mine and use them all the time. Easy enough to sharpen and there are many size options for the hands you're looking to fit. The pear wood handle is very solid and the carbon steel blade will darken to a nice patina with use. Pretty much a classic knife; albeit a folder and not a sheath knife.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - This will be what my grandsons receive when the time comes. In fact, I need to make a sheath for one right now because the time is now for my oldest grandson; with his parent's permission of course ;)

There's lots of old Western knives on eBay in the $20-40 range. Most are full sized hunting knives so maybe a little big for youngins. Made in Boulder, CO. I've got my grandpas. Great knives for the money with leather handles. It was the quintessential knife of the Western and western Midwest farmer/rancher.

Been doing good on not buying gear this winter but you guys convinced me to buy a little Opinel folder. Not very happy with my current pocket knife so hoping this fits the bill. Price sure is right.

Alan

If you don't find what you are looking for here's an idea. Put some wood handles on it and you have two hobbies.
kkbl014b_1_600.jpg
Now that would be something that would make a great remembrance, in my opinion !

Jim

After being without a computer since the new year I return to find a subject near & dear to my own experience. Robin may I throw my hat into the ring with the dexter russell 5" fish knife w/ walnut handle. On sale now at katom resturant supply (sku#10411), two should only be around $35 delivered. Classic design , wood handle , a practical camp knife. Plus you can make the gift an heirloom by making the sheath.

After being without a computer since the new year I return to find a subject near & dear to my own experience. Robin may I throw my hat into the ring with the dexter russell 5" fish knife w/ walnut handle. On sale now at katom resturant supply (sku#10411), two should only be around $35 delivered. Classic design , wood handle , a practical camp knife. Plus you can make the gift an heirloom by making the sheath.

Aka Green River Hunter. Great knife, but I prefer buying the blanks and making my own handles.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable giving a kid a knife without some sort of guard to stop their finger from slipping into the blade. Something to think about.

Those handles are checkered for a non slip grip , also children should be schooled on proper knife handling ie. keep a knife sharp so you don't have to force it , don't use it for purposes it was not designed for , that's how you cut yourself , after all most pocket and kitchen knives have no guards.

Last edited:
Been doing good on not buying gear this winter but you guys convinced me to buy a little Opinel folder. Not very happy with my current pocket knife so hoping this fits the bill. Price sure is right.

Alan

Alan, buy a ss one, the carbone blade are superior, but need maintenance... Great knife!

Here are a couple that I made. The blades were purchased in Norway the last time my wife was there (I unfortunately couldn't make that trip). The handles are curly burch, a traditional handle wood. I fitted the blade to the wood and then shaped the handle, and sewed the sheath. I've done about 5 or 6 now and a few more blanks left.

1a767fb892099a09d28ba78b7ff02e6e_zpsee3d3396.jpg

8a064867f7d6cb67bc232d23223d78dc_zpscbf6d9bc.jpg

Norway has a huge knife history and kids are taught young. If you google 'barnekniv' for images you can see what they do for kids knives. Barne is child in Norwegian, and they join words together all the time.
Jim

I found some more pics. When my wife asked around where to buy knife blade she was given a phone number and they arraigned to meet at a parking lot. He sold out of the trunk of his car. This is what she saw.

IMG_0504_zpsehpruhym.jpg

IMG_0501_zpsbsrggzah.jpg

I still have his contact info and probably three more blades so I haven't felt the need to reach out to him.
Jim

Back