• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Cross Cut Hand Saw

Reaction score
I have this saw and want to use it next season to process wood for a canoe in hot tent camp. Any ideas or references to clean/sharpen the saw. I'm thinking a wire brush on my cutter grinder to clean the rust, but sharpening it is a mystery to me. I would like to be able to sharpen it myself.

I plan to make a sheath from unused # 10 canvas but wonder about those aggressive teeth and how to protect the sheath in transport also.

There are abrasive wheels for 4-1/2" grinders that are good at removing rust.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#sanding-discs/=15m4vkw

You may find them at a hardware store or home center. They are like a heavy duty version of Scotchbrite. I would use Scotchbrite for the areas needing hand cleaning. You can use Emery cloth, but should use light oil with Emery cloth to keep it from clogging. When it's time to touch up the blade tips, a fine tooth file and patience is best. There is a file called a crosscut file that is made for that, if you can find one.

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/files/what-is-a-crosscut-file/

https://www.grainger.com/category/hand-files-and-rasps/files/hand-tools/ecatalog/N-93jZ1yzio4c

I've seen plastic tubing slit lengthwise, and placed on smaller blades. I might work for your big blade.
Looks like a fun tool, if you get it sharp !

​ I see them at auctions every now and then. I pick one up, if you have success with yours !

​ I have a really Old bottle of stuff, that is supposed to turn rust black. When I get back to the shop, I'll try and locate it.
​ I've seen some videos on YouTube, involving vinegar, and a battery to clean the rust. Don't know if it works. They show some pretty bad looking tools, brought back to life.

Jim

I used to have the Lever Saw Set for those big CCs. More tools I wished I hadn't got rid of.
Start with Vinegar and a green pad

Last edited:
Take the handle off and soak in vinegar (cheap white) for 6 to twelve hours. On badly rusted tools I'll put them in to soak at the end of the day then first thing in the morning I'll give it a rub with scotchbrite. If it needs more time I'll try again later in the day. I have a saw like that and they are wonderful but not good for cutting small stuff. I have a slit garden hose tied over the teeth.
Jim

Robin, I've used an old piece of garden hose cut down the middle for a small axe I used to bring on trips. I drill a hole in the ends and the tied a piece of shoelace to hold it in place against the blade. Worked well for years and was stuff I had on hand.

Thanks for all the ideas, I think I should be able to get the saw cleaned up now. Lots of good leads, clean, sharpen, case and that rubber hose idea is perfect.

The fire hose idea is a great idea too. It should cover a good portion of the blade. Check with your local fire department to see if they are getting rid of any hose material. They must test their hoses and replace them more frequently as OSHA requires them to now.

I thought having and maintaining an old cross cut saw kind of sounded like fun until I read that paper from the forest service. Maybe it's easier than in sounds....

Alan

It is quite easy and fast to maintain them, but if you have to rehab one that can be quite labor intensive but after that quite easy!!

Back