• Happy Scream Day! 😱

What Crooked Knife?

Reaction score
I found some posts from 2011 through 2013 that mentioned crooked knifes. Many contributions about making them, but aside from a link to a hoof knife, I didn't see much in the way of links or suggestions as to where to buy one or what model or specs to look out for. I watched the Ray Mears (video) carve a paddle, using such a knife. I am not sure how ambitious I am about carving my own paddles, but the tool looked useful, and I'd like to add one to my canoe travel pack.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• photo5698.jpg
    photo5698.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5699.jpg
    photo5699.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5700.jpg
    photo5700.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Canot what is that book in the background? I like the look of the blade but I don't understand, should we pity the tip. Oh wait I think you mean pointy!
Jim

I have used one from this guy. Nothing fancy and quite inexpensive, but it seems to get the job done. Look under accessories..

http://www.barkcanoe.com/

Mark
I saw this one earlier, but I can't tell the blade shape from the one photo on the wen site. Can you post some photos of it?

I like the DIY approach, but my metal working abilities for such a project are are just not there.

Not too many mass producers of crooked knives out there because it is such a custom tool. Guess you should ask yourself what you really intend to use it for? Many serious carvers have more than one blade shape since shaving down a flat surface (like a paddle blade) is a bit better with a longer, flatter blade but carving out other items might need a more pronounced curve. Traditional birchbark canoe builders would have more than one type too. Shallow bevel for shaving softwood cedar ribs and planking and a thicker blade with steeper bevel to handle green hardwood.

For an affordable basic crooked knife made from a file, you could try Don Merchant of Pole and Paddle

http://poleandpaddle.com/tools/crooked_knives

But I would highly suggest just buying the blade and customizing the handle for your own comfort. He also just sells blade blanks:

http://poleandpaddle.com/tools/crooked_blades

The one Ray Mears uses has a pretty short blade length and full circular recurved tip. Good for rounding a paddle shaft and carving a bowl. It would be a bit more cumbersome with a wide paddle blade but certainly functional. Bushcraft Canada is selling a nearly identical blade forged in Sweden, but it's costly...

http://www.bushcraftcanada.com/products/detail.cfm?product=244

I saw this one earlier, but I can't tell the blade shape from the one photo on the wen site. Can you post some photos of it?

I like the DIY approach, but my metal working abilities for such a project are are just not there.

Blade shape is like canotrouges. I don't own one, I just helped work on a birchbark canoe using one. The handle isn't the most comfortable, but for $20 it seems to be worth it and your first project could be to make a new handle.

I got one from the address in the John Mcphee book, THE SURVIVAL OF THE BARK CANOE. Without doing a search for the book I believe it was the Hudson's Bay store, northern division.
I also have a hand forged one from the Finnish blacksmith, Kay Vikstrom (two dots over the O). He at one time was selling them to a bead shop in Duluth MN that has since closed. If you want a really well made and tempered crooked knife blade, you can contact him at the link below.

Thanks guys! I just ordered one from www.Barkcanoe.com for $20 plus shipping.
I'll report back and post some photos, once I have it.

I bought an Ash paddle from them a few months ago and really like it...

Canot what is that book in the background? I like the look of the blade but I don't understand, should we pity the tip. Oh wait I think you mean pointy!
Jim

Yes pointy it was.... Or need to be lol.

As for the book, it's Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America, a great book for references!!

No Title

As for the comfort of the crooked knife, I like the blade to be at an angle in relation the the handle, in both direction it makes a big difference in how long you will be able to work with it!! It keep your wrist at a more neutral position!!

Attachments

• photo5705.jpg
    photo5705.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5706.jpg
    photo5706.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
first time i ever heard of a crooked knife, i was a teenage boy scout reading a paul provencher book on woodcraft...

and then there is this guy:

http://www.blackthunderstudio.com/knives/

Ha Paul Provencher what a great story teller he was!!

As for Nick, I was on the same forum as him at some point and I find him a bit arrogant, just a bit. He does beautiful work that I have to give him that!!

Thanks guys! I just ordered one from www.Barkcanoe.com for $20 plus shipping.
I'll report back and post some photos, once I have it.

I bought an Ash paddle from them a few months ago and really like it...

Received my crooked knife from Bark Canoe yesterday. When I ordered it, the owner of BC mentioned, his crooked knives were imports and Chevy rather than BMW in quality and performance. I am no expert in cars or crooked knives, but I agree with the implied comparison. The knife comes with a decent handle as far as form, but, for my taste, the angle is a bit off. Continuous use of the knife is certainly hampered by the fact that I need to angle my wrist for straight draws. Perhaps no big deal, as I will likely not spend hours or days, carving stuff. The blade shape seems functional enough, but the edge needs work. It comes somewhat sharp, but the edge itself is not like a ground, angled edge like the edges I saw in photos of other crooked knives. Instead, the blade rounds rather than ramps toward the edge, if that makes sense. I tried carving various soft, aged and green woods, with little success on any of them. I will try to put a ground edge on it and give it another go. I know I know. You get what you pay for. if I can't make this one work, I might order a blade from

William Collins

[FONT=helvetica, arial, verdana, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JhVYtnt_8[/FONT]

IMG_0758.JPG IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0757.JPG

Also I found that the blade need to be sharp right to the handle to help with fine work! I mean they are really easy to make, I mean not that easy but really not that hard, find an old file, the older the better the quality of the steel is better!

Here are a group of knives, I took the pic a while ago. I have added a couple more hoof knives to the stable since. The one at the bottom of the pic I bought from Woodcraft Suppy back in the ’70‘s just the blade and a paper pattern for the handle. The one closest to yours was listed as a Swiss carving knife, it has an edge on both sides of the blade.

ca6d8836ba57e7a67707f25dd661f7d7_zps2f586edb.jpg

For some reason I added another hoof knife in this shot, they are the ones with the tight hook at the end.
5a60121b6c4cccc89a556ce1043c3fbc_zps0dc07789.jpg

Jim

Back