• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wool blanket repair...felting

Reaction score
few winters ago up in Dawson, picked up an HBC blanket...not sure if the sled dog was unimpressed that he was left behind in ontario, or impressed by the wild smells of a used bay blanket from the yukon. long story short was holes. fast foward a few years and i pick up felting needles for a couple of bucks on the e-bay...then used some dog fur, i've got lots laying around, and voilia. I didn't colour match 'cuz i'm looking more for the narrative than a pitch-perfect repair...but it seems sturdy enough. I'm particular proud of the corner...next up is my merino stanfield union suit the moths got...needle felting...who knew

Attachments

• photo5430.JPG
    photo5430.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5431.JPG
    photo5431.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5432.JPG
    photo5432.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5433.JPG
    photo5433.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5434.JPG
    photo5434.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5436.jpg
    photo5436.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sweet, looking good!! Dawson, at the "trading post" on front street? This place always has good stuff!!

I didn't know about felting and watched a YouTube video. Ha, who knew? You did a nice job on the blanket. I prefer something like that from the Yukon over a clean new one, sort of like my canoes...:cool:

Mine HBC blanket came from Ontario and was resewn after mice did a job on it.

I like that last picture of you and your material source.

Reactions: Tom
Nice job.
Watch out when using dog fur. When it gets a little damp and warm there is definitely an aroma of damp dog that comes off it no.matter how much you wash it.

Sorry guys, wood smoke, pine, and leaves are all great outdoor smells. Wet dog is not one of those for me.

Great job on the repair to the blanket! I will remember this if one of the dogs puts a hole in it. They have a bit of white on them!

oh, and yeah canotrouge -- it was the trading post on front...what a great shop...picked up a new harness for the dog while i was there, and fondled the canvas tents...

I have to try felting. Dryer balls
I saw some ar the Fryeburg Fair. Much better than artificial fabric softeners in the dryer. Useful for lofting down

Nice blanket tumplion. I'd never heard of felting until now, though I've seen the results on second hand blankets for sale.

Good idea. I have 2 Pendleton Chief Joseph blankets, one is 40 years old, both given to me by really good women. I have some light Pendleton blankets I got at the factory that were seconds. and one HB pattern blanket from a mill in PA. They are prized possessions. I sleep with them all the time. I sleep with dogs, there are a few holes. I do not notice them at all.

Back